Studebaker Stripe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Stripe!

A term which I haven't heard in several years is: "Studebaker Stripe"!......I wondered if newcomers to the world of Studebakers possibly know what that term meant?

(Stude old timers need not apply here!)......A Stude I just looked at on e-bay reminded me of this term.

The 1940's to 1950's Pontiacs had TWO Stripes of wide Stainless steel down the full length of the Hoods, but I don't remember any Studebakers.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I posted with a pic of the stripe, but deleted it immediately because I hadn't read the original post completely.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I had a Stripe in my underwear as I sat in my Studebaker once .

Comment

I've been around for only a little less than SN-60 and never heard the term. The only "stripe" I can think of that wasn't chrome or stainless would be the contrasting color stripe on the '40-'41 beltline ofthe Commanders.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            I've been around for only a little less than SN-60 and never heard the term. The only "stripe" I can think of that wasn't chrome or stainless would be the contrasting color stripe on the '40-'41 beltline of the Commanders.
            And the thing about those '40's and '41's is that the "Stripe" was not all that prominent because Studebaker usually "disguised it" well by making the Colors similar, with two different shades of the same color.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Could it be referring to the line of rust that develops on the rear edge of the front fenders? Looks like a line to me.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                Could it be referring to the line of rust that develops on the rear edge of the front fenders? Looks like a line to me.
                evilhawk nailed it!!....Typical of many 'rust belt' Studebakers back when the cars were in daily use, the 'Studebaker Stripe' was a derogatory term used by some to describe the vertical rust bulge (or worse!) found at the rear edge of the front fenders caused by debris collecting where the inner fender brace is spot welded to the outer fender skin.....Very typical of '53-'66 passenger car and 'T' cab truck bodies. (Excepting for Avantis of course!)

Comment

You did specify that those of us with much experience with these stripes should not reply.
                  Makes me think of a Lark in our Chapter that was nick-named "Dumbo" because the front fenders flapped as the car was driven.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Years ago I noticed a slight bulge vertically along the rear edge of the front fenders. I saw enough of them to wonder why Studebaker made the fenders that way. Well, they didn't. That bulge is what you see before the stripe appears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender.rust.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1707823
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      Years ago I noticed a slight bulge vertically along the rear edge of the front fenders. I saw enough of them to wonder why Studebaker made the fenders that way. Well, they didn't. That bulge is what you see before the stripe appears.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56332[/ATTACH]
                      Wow!...The once quite common 'Studebaker Stripe' on what looks to be a '55 President Speedster!!.....Is this Speedster still around?

Comment

I would say your right on the fender rust stripe. But when I think of Studebaker stripe, I think of the 53 cove that's been painted, pinstriped, under the butter knifed, and added in stainless to the Transtar deluxe. The cove has been treated to every imaginable custom color customization
                        And if you don't like the direction it's heading, don't forget the reversed truck version.
                        Last edited by Studeous; 07-10-2016, 08:34 PM.
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

In no way, would I consider that a "Studebaker" stripe. That stripe respected no brand, and certainly was not unique to Studebaker. It was more like a "north of the Mason-Dixon" stripe for those of us down south. When I was a kid, I recall a huge cottage industry sprang up around here, where many good ol' boy, bondo bubbas, would drive up to northern cities, buy low mileage, winter driven salt rusted cars, drag them south with a tow bar, bondo them up, and resell them, while the paint was still drying.

It didn't matter what brand, all the cars from late forties through the mid eighties, would rust, front headlight eyebrows, to rear fenders, and everywhere between. One of my wife's uncles made a good living rehabbing northern cars. He even developed a network of northern dealerships who would reserve trade-ins that they didn't want to put on their used car lots, or take the trouble to prepare for auction. It was a "win/win" for the dealers, and her uncle. Once they established what he would accept, and what he wouldn't, it worked out great. Several local shops made good livings, rehabbing, and reselling, repaired rusted northern cars.

Perhaps, we could call it a "Studebaker" stripe, because that is the brand we pay attention to...but to me, rust is partial to no brand.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            In no way, would I consider that a "Studebaker" stripe. That stripe respected no brand, and certainly was not unique to Studebaker. It was more like a "north of the Mason-Dixon" stripe for those of us down south. When I was a kid, I recall a huge cottage industry sprang up around here, where many good ol' boy, bondo bubbas, would drive up to northern cities, buy low mileage, winter driven salt rusted cars, drag them south with a tow bar, bondo them up, and resell them, while the paint was still drying.

It didn't matter what brand, all the cars from late forties through the mid eighties, would rust, front headlight eyebrows, to rear fenders, and everywhere between. One of my wife's uncles made a good living rehabbing northern cars. He even developed a network of northern dealerships who would reserve trade-ins that they didn't want to put on their used car lots, or take the trouble to prepare for auction. It was a "win/win" for the dealers, and her uncle. Once they established what he would accept, and what he wouldn't, it worked out great. Several local shops made good livings, rehabbing, and reselling, repaired rusted northern cars.

Perhaps, we could call it a "Studebaker" stripe, because that is the brand we pay attention to...but to me, rust is partial to no brand.
                            No doubt this wasn't seen by you in the area of the country in which you live, but indeed the "Studebaker Stripe" was well known in the northeast....Heck, that stripe would begin to rear its ugly head when a Hawk was only two or three years old!...If a Stude was driven year-round up here, it either had occasional replacement fenders or the "Studebaker Stripe"!!

Comment

This could be a bit mis - leading. I am not up on Pontiacs,but I know many "if not all" 1940s Pontiacs had ONE piece of Trim on the Hoods - maybe this held true into the early 50s ? I believe 54,55 was when the TWO pieces became the norm "again guessing",and don't forget the trunk Lids !

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              The 1940's to 1950's Pontiacs had TWO Stripes of wide Stainless steel down the full length of the Hoods, but I don't remember any Studebakers.
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X