56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Power Hawk

found 56 ph needing help with ID.body tag has 56B-C3 350 the second tag has C3 2 tone, the door tag has, 8430090 with a motor stamp is V364658, casting # is 536601, he said that is all original it does look complete thanks

A 56B-C3 is a 1956 Power Hawk coupe. The 350 indicates that this is the 350th body of this type welded up, out of 7095. 8430090 is the Serial Number and indicates that it was made early in the 1956 model year in South Bend, IN and it is part of the Commander series. The V indicates that the engine is a 259 cid. You can go to the SDC home page to check if the engine number is in the correct range for a 1956. It is unusual to have a second tag (streamer) to indicate a two tone paint job.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The only reason I can think of is, the Body Line employees sometimes must have needed a prompt to remember to drill the Holes for the around the rear Glass Two-Tone Stainless moulding before Paint.

A Two-Tone Paint job would be no big deal to remember and easy to fix if wrong, but No Mouldings to hide the paintline would be a bigger problem.

Maybe used on Monday Mornings!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the car does not have the trim divider on the quarters,must be top only color

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
          The '56 Power Hawks do not use a side trim "divider" that was reserved for Sky Hawks and Golden Hawks.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunglow_White Loaded 56a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1707819 Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Gold Sky Hawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1707821 Click image for larger version

Name:	56 GH Blue_White2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1707820
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe that top only would be correct, and the only two-tone, on a Power Hawk.

EDIT: Once again, Rich and I were "typing" similar replies at the same time. He just got his in one minute ahead of mine (probably due to dial-up).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Very true Gary, my Comcast Cable connection is VERY Fast, and I can update them to add pics and corrections for about 5 Min. or more without a Updated Note.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think the car is the same color as the coupe, but has 2 colors on top , the car is on craigslist corvalis in Oregon,too rough for my capeabilities and he is firm on his price of 5k

Comment

I think the car is the same color as the coupe, but has 2 colors on top , the car is on craigslist corvalis in Oregon,too rough for my capeabilities and he is firm on his price of 5k
                  What do you mean by; "...2 colors on top..."?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The car has had body work, but looks solid overall.
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      A 56B-C3 is a 1956 Power Hawk coupe. The 350 indicates that this is the 350th body of this type welded up, out of 7095. 8430090 is the Serial Number and indicates that it was made early in the 1956 model year in South Bend, IN and it is part of the Commander series. The V indicates that the engine is a 259 cid. You can go to the SDC home page to check if the engine number is in the correct range for a 1956. It is unusual to have a second tag (streamer) to indicate a two tone paint job.
                      .......and if this Power Hawk is a REAL early unit, and it has a Flightomatic trans, it will have the 'first gear start in drive' feature!!

Comment

sorry I meant 2 paint jobs over the yellow, and all the gray has bondo under it and the trunk lid has rust along the lip

Comment

Working...
                        X