Local Sky Hawk FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Sky Hawk FS

Local SDC member is selling his Studebaker and does not do the internet thing so I am trying to get the information out. Vehicle is located in the Kentucky bluegrass. I am not going to post his personal information because of webpage scanners getting personal information. If you are serious about speaking with the owner, please email me at champs@zoho.com.

1956 Sky Hawk - 4 brl carburetor, automatic, power steering, power brakes and alternator conversion. Restored over a number of years and was finished in 2012. Everything was gone through. 289 was bored .30 and everything internally (except crank - turned .10 under) is new - engine rebuild cost over $8000. Has 8000 miles since engine rebuild - car has been to Boston and several trips to Michigan so no worries on the long trips. Tranny rebuilt, new radiator core, differential rebuilt, etc.

This hawk was on a Turning Wheels cover sometime during 2010.

Current owner is the third. Believed it was originally sold in the Carolinas and bought out of Ohio about a decade ago. Odometer shows 93,000 and it is believed to be actual mileage.

Interior is from Rene Harger and obviously the best replacement going. Only known issues are a non working clock and interior light switch that does not work. Owner is very particular about everything working and has made sure it is good to go for a new owner.

Asking price is $23,000

Sorry for the fuzzy interior shot. If someone would like detail photos of something, I am only a thirty minute drive away to shot what I can. If you have any questions, please email me and I will answer them as best I can.
    Last edited by 62champ; 07-08-2016, 07:31 PM.

WOW!....what a doll!....Sky Hawks truly were the 'high water mark' of the 1956 Studebaker Hawk series!

Comment

That Sky Hawk is really tempting.
      It would only take a few changes in the engine compartment to bring it back to a stock appearance.
      With three Sky Hawks at this year's SDC International Convention, they seem to be coming out of the "woodwork".
      It doesn't look like garage space is the reason for selling.
      The front fenders appear to be replacements.
      It is still tempting since I like Sky Hawks and have yet to own one.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just out of curiosity and for further reference what on the front fenders stands out that makes them look to be replacement fenders? I am not questioning your expertise, just looking to learn more about what to look for. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
          Just out of curiosity and for further reference what on the front fenders stands out that makes them look to be replacement fenders? I am not questioning your expertise, just looking to learn more about what to look for. Thank you in advance.
          Only two visible hood bumpers on each side. Should be six on each side, with four or five visible in the above pic.

Comment

Since the Bumper holes are in the Inner Fender to Outer Fender overlap area, they cannot be drilled until the Front end (Inner & Outer Fenders, Hood, Cowl and side grille Supports) are fitted.

It would be quite a stretch to think that someone was so paranoid about those bumpers, to weld all those holes up.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've owned one since 2008. It's got some minor appearance issues, but is a real runner. Mine's insured for 25k, but actual selling price would probably be closer to 18. According to a service which measures these things, there are only 66 registered in the country. If you at all can, Keep this car!
              peter lee

Comment

For one thing; the drivers side outer to inner fender appears to be sheetmetal screwed together rather than the original factory spotwelded.

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
                  For one thing; the drivers side outer to inner fender appears to be sheetmetal screwed together rather than the original factory spotwelded.
                  Since you mentioned it, I THINK I see screws, but still cannot be sure. You must have excellent vision

Comment

Another nice touch on '56 Sky Hawks, (actually, all '56 Hawks) is the elimination of the cowl and body side upper belt mouldings.....giving these cars a much 'cleaner' look (IMHO) than the earlier C-K's....Lord knows why S-P brought them back in '57!!

Comment

The current owner said the PO told him that the body work was in good shape but when the body shop took the paint off they discovered the front fenders had the usual rear seam rust but he did not indicate that new fenders were put on the car. My guess is that those fenders could have been put on at some point before the current owner bought the car but I can check if someone would really like to know.

Comment

One of the most immaculate 56Js I ever worked on had fiberglass front fenders. I never noticed till one day, working on the front suspension, I reached under a fender lip to pull myself up. Something just felt different, so I looked closer and saw both were fiberglass. Otherwise, I'd never have noticed, and doubt anyone else would either.

My point is, this guy's Sky Hawk looks very nice, no matter the, "rest of the story" on the fenders.

Comment

I want it! I would just have to sell my '61 Champ truck and my '55 President State to come up with the money. Hmm.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I noticed the lack of some of the bumpers, but that is not what swayed my opinion. It was the screws and welds/braze at the edge of the front fender (spot welds used at the factory).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Holy Moly... $8000 for an engine rebuild?? WOW. Did that include the trans rebuilt and the rear end and the front suspension?
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X