Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Under seat heater is always on

Hi all,
    No matter which way I turn the heater control, it remains on. While I appreciate the amount of heat if puts out, it can be a little intense during the summer months. Is there an easy fix for this? Thank you.
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Is it the temperature or the fan that "Remains on?" There's a temperature control, that may be on the passenger side of the firewall, behind the glove box. it's controlled by a cable, perhaps the cable is unattached?

Comment

I depends on how deep you want to get into it. If it were me I'd just run to Harbor Freight and buy a set of those hose pliers that safely pinch off the flow. They're made of hard plastic and will cut the flow of water pretty easily when you clamp it to a heater hose. Since the pliers are made of plastic it won't damage the hose. When it gets colder just remove the pliers and the water will flow!!

Treblig

Comment

If you can see the water valve, have somebody turn/slide the temp control and watch if the lever moves. If it does the valve needs repair, if not might just be a loose cable pinch screw letting it slide without moving the lever. If you don't want to get into fixing it you can cut the hoses and bypass the heater or put a manual ball valve on the "in" hose.

Comment

For Studebakers that I do not drive in freezing weather, I simply remove the heater hoses at the engine end, remove the nipples and replace them with pipe plugs and then put the heater hoses on the pipe plugs. This way it looks stock, but you will not have any heat or water in the cabin.
          Last edited by studegary; 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM. Reason: incorrect word
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am in the process of replacing the heater control valve in my '55 President because it started leaking. Prior to the leak it would not shut off completely so I had a small amount of heat coming from the heater all the time. I would check that valve on your car. If it is not closing it may be about to fail. That would allow coolant to leak into the passenger compartment. Not good.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              For Studebakers that I do not drive in freezing weather, I simply remove the heater hoses at the engine end, remove the nipples and replace them with pipe plugs and then put the heater hoses on the nipples. This way it looks stock, but you will not have any heat or water in the cabin.
              I like that idea the best, simple easy looks good!!!

Comment

Here is the link for the Ranco Heater Valve Repair. <http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Ranco/rancotb/rancotb.html>
                Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
                55 Commander Conestoga
                60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
                59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
                62 Champ 7E7, A/T
                49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

If you close the Outside Air Door in the Right Fender you should not have any Air Flow through the Heater Core to push any heat that may be in there into the Car.

You COULD have a broken Air Duct from the Fender Vent to the Under Seat Heater Core, if it is open to the Hot Air coming off of the Engine when moving, you will get Hot Air, fumes and maybe even Exhaust in the Car, definitely NOT good.

Is the Hot Coolant Heater Hose (connected to the Upper Fitting on the Water Manifold) routed first to the Temp. Control Valve?

Or as others have said, you may just have a Control Valve that is not closing all the way for several reasons.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Quote: For Studebakers that I do not drive in freezing weather, I simply remove the heater hoses at the engine end, remove the nipples and replace them with pipe plugs and then put the heater hoses on the nipples. This way it looks stock, but you will not have any heat or water in the cabin.

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                    I like that idea the best, simple easy looks good!!!
                    This would certainly Not work for everyone, in "most" areas you can drive them most of the Winter.
                    Sorry Gary, I do agree with most all of your suggestions.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Quote: For Studebakers that I do not drive in freezing weather, I simply remove the heater hoses at the engine end, remove the nipples and replace them with pipe plugs and then put the heater hoses on the nipples. This way it looks stock, but you will not have any heat or water in the cabin.

This would certainly Not work for everyone, in "most" areas you can drive them most of the Winter.
                      Sorry Gary, I do agree with most all of your suggestions.
                      We really do agree on this one snce I qualified it for cars not driven in freezing weather.

This reminds me of a meet that I attended in Vermont in my 1953 Commander Starliner that had its heater eliminated in this fashion. When I came out in the morning, my car was covered in snow. A C/K V8 makes enough heat in the cabin for this to be a short term problem.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks all! Great suggestions and now I know where to look. Stay cool!
                        1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Comment

Could someone have wired it that way to help the radiator cool? I know that is far out, but could happen
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                            Could someone have wired it that way to help the radiator cool? I know that is far out, but could happen
                            Anything is possible, but this is not likely. The heater will only lower the temp 5-10 degrees, but of course that can make a difference, in an emergency, i.e. hopelessly stuck in traffic. Much better to install a 16" pusher fan in front of the radio, for such emergency situations.

I have had several Stude heater valves stop shutting completely off; sometimes they leak too, and sometimes not. I usually just send them to the guy in HMN (Joe Hudacheck?), who rebuilds them as new, for about $75. The 56J's valve currently will not shut completely off, but I just re-routed the water lines for now. More and more things get put in the round2it file nowadays. Can't wait till retirement retire, so I can give personal stuff the time it deserves

Comment

As I am completely mechanically challenged, if not downright inept. I put two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil over the box. When I drive it in cold weather, I just remove them. People like me shouldn't really own collector cars, but I do love my Sky Hawk sooooo much!
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X