PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Gas Tank connections (R2 style for Golden Hawk); pickup pipe too low?

bsrosell
07-07-2016, 10:34 PM
56167561645616556166Hi,
I'm putting a fuel return line in my 57 Golden Hawk (too many vapor locks with our '53 Buick over the years!! even with no alcohol premium sometimes...)
My original gas tank had only a "supply line" pickup in the gas gauge sender unit of course, but the tank I got to replace it had a 5/16(?) fitting on the TANK, under the seam, for the pickup line.

I took the tank to ReNu, had them cook and coat it, and swap out that fitting with the 3/8" fitting I need for the supercharged GHawk.

Never really looked at it closely , just stored it away; now I am preparing for ordering CuPro lines from FedHill, and have two questions:
from the photos,
1) does that pickup tube they put in with the 3/8" fitting (stainless; I just dug out the receipt.....) look too low, basically at bottom of the tank? I have no idea where the original one sat, it has been 4 or 5 years... I'm putting an R2 NOS strainer in too fortunately. I don't think I could really bend it up any through the sending unit hole anyway, without risk of cracking it, but wondering if the originals were also this close to the bottom.

2) what kind of fitting is that they put in? Glad I looked, I was just going to get 3/8 flared 45deg for it...... Did they put a 'modern' fitting on, and how do I adapt (or what do I ask FedHill for) to put on my new 3/8" tubing?

Thanks!
Barry

StudeRich
07-07-2016, 10:45 PM
It looks like a Seat for a Flared Line and Compression Nut. What I would want to know is did they use a Line that makes a 45' Turn Down and go down to 1/4 Inch or so from the bottom like the Original and like they SHOULD have.

It's not Too Low; I'd say not Low enough, if there is no turn down!
Can you see anything from the Sending Unit Hole?

It sure looks like a bit of a Cold Weld, doesn't it?

That is exactly what I would do, is use the unusual '57 Sending Unit with the 3/8 Line Out for a Cool fuel Return Line, just adapt it down to a 1/4 Inch Line to a R2 Carter Super Pump restricted "T" Fitting or Three way restricted Fuel Filter.

doofus
07-08-2016, 05:30 AM
Original line had last 1/4 inch flattened and spot welded to bottom center of tank. early pickup tubes in sender went nearly to bottom of tank. you should be able to see end through sender hole with lite.some tanks have center bottom marked with small ridged ring,this is where pickup tube is spot welded to bottom. add an in line filter before fuel pump to keep any debris out of pump. Luck Doofus

JoeHall
07-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Where do you plan to plumb the return line? I use 1/4" copper/nickel line, now approved for brake line, and run it back to the filler neck, about 2" below the cap. The copper/nickel line is easily bendable, unlike stainless.

studegary
07-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Are you aware that Studebaker issued a Service Bulletin to install an electric fuel pump on '57-'58 Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks? This was to solve delivery shortage issues at high rpm, but would also help with vapor lock issues.

bsrosell
07-08-2016, 01:25 PM
It looks like a Seat for a Flared Line and Compression Nut. What I would want to know is did they use a Line that makes a 45' Turn Down and go down to 1/4 Inch or so from the bottom like the Original and like they SHOULD have.

It's not Too Low; I'd say not Low enough, if there is no turn down!
Can you see anything from the Sending Unit Hole?

It sure looks like a bit of a Cold Weld, doesn't it?

That is exactly what I would do, is use the unusual '57 Sending Unit with the 3/8 Line Out for a Cool fuel Return Line, just adapt it down to a 1/4 Inch Line to a R2 Carter Super Pump restricted "T" Fitting or Three way restricted Fuel Filter.

Thanks;
-yes, the pickup tube is bent (looks like ~45, but down towards bottom of tank; you can see as well in the photo as I can from sender hole with flashlight (where I took the photo from obviously).
-yes, intend to run an R2 fuel pump and associated Sediment Bulb, and run 1/4" line from Sediment bulb back to the tank and my sending unit's fitting (w/ reducer).

-the dark 'stain' area is from the heat of soldering the end of the pick-up tube down; I didn't decide to put in the return line until a month after they'd coated the tank, so the baked coating turned darker there; the 'scratched'? lighter areas, might be from scuffing the coating off to solder, or might be flux from the soldering. The ReNu guy could not tell, doesn't know.

-called the ReNu location who did this a few years ago; he had me send photos; he had NO idea what that fitting is on the tank or why anyone of their guys would have used that vs just a flared fitting for 3/8" tubing, unless they happened to have a complete 'pickup tube' with that fitting on it, sitting there ready to solder in and used it. Regardless, he offered to redo it with the correct fitting (possibly whole tube need to be replaced) if I bring it in. Hate to, hour drive from here, but probably will... Assuming I do, anyone have a picture or spec or drawing of what the pickup SHOULD be and SHOULD go, if they have to make a new one and solder to a fitting, then solder assembly to the tank? You can see the flare on the one in mine now, obviously(?) just a piece of tubing they had laying around, and bent it down (I hope that was intentional anyway!).
Why is that important, vs the original supercharged '57 setup (or 56J) with the tube going straight down from the sending unit opening? No bend in those pickup tubes.... I have to cut off the 56J tube, it's about an inch too long for my tank even; how high should a return line be? Seems you'd want that pretty close to bottom too, and "under the gas" level. Does it matter for a return line?
Thanks all.