GT Wire Wheels size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Wire Wheels size?

My personal preference for my 62 GT is wire wheels. Coker Tire has the Chrysler wire wheels what would be the proper size for a 62 GT.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

I had what looks like the same wheel on a 64 GT w/ drum brakes, was told they originally came as Chrysler equipment, same caps. But wow!! I paid the same for the whole car as what 4 wheels cost now. By the way, they looked great.

Comment

I agree 100% the only thing that looks better on a GT over the stock wheels and caps are the wires. Would love to have a set to put on mine when it's done but even if I could find a way to bank roll them I'am afraid I would have to say {No DEAR THEY WHERE ONLY $100 HONEST.}

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        ...even if I could find a way to bank roll them I'm afraid I would have to say {No DEAR THEY WHERE ONLY $100 HONEST.}
        I was thinking of "No dear they didn't cost me anything I got them in a trade". Yeah my cash for the wheels.

But what's the size?
        I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1707678file:I hIave 4 of these if you are interested. - Randy//localhost/Users/randybohannon/Desktop/photo-3.JPG

Comment

Agree, I, also love the look of chrome wires.

FWIW, I've got a set of Dayton true knockoffs on my Avanti. They got rusty, so I had them painted body color and they sure look better than the rust.

I've also got a set of five of the Borrani knockoffs with very good chrome.

The downside of the wires, especially the knockoffs which have the additional cast iron hub adapter, they're heavier than the hinges of hell. They weigh twice what a good aluminum wheel weighs and then most earlier wires require tubes and flaps, which also add weight.

The additional unsprung weight is very noticeable if one is at all sensitive to ride and handling.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

The Borrani's are 15 X 6 and do require tubes. I have had a set on my 64 Avanti since 1987. Love them. As Jack said with the adapters they are heavy

Denny L
              1940 President Club Sedan street rod
              1964 Avanti. R1
              1964 Daytona convertible R1

Comment

Working...
              X