PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Room under lark hood?

Mcwicki51
06-29-2016, 11:45 PM
I was wondering how much room there is under the hood on a 1963 cruiser/lark with a 289 V8? I came up with a great idea to put a 4bbl carb with a 1/2" spacer and a tall Cadillac type air cleaner for looks and performance. However, it now stands 8-1/2" off the intake top. Stock is around 7". How can you measure the clearance under the hood without being smart rodent or without tearing everything out and just going for it?

Steve

CJMiller
06-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Put a big ball of clay on top of the existing air cleaner. See how far it smooches when you close the hood and there's your clearance.

Mcwicki51
06-30-2016, 12:40 AM
Put a big ball of clay on top of the existing air cleaner. See how far it smooches when you close the hood and there's your clearance.
Thank you!

I failed to consider smart human. I will pick up some play doh and do some squish test to see what room I have available.

Thanks again.

Steve

Mike Van Veghten
06-30-2016, 07:58 AM
If you are talking the big incorrectly called..."Batwing" air cleaner...it will be VERY close.
Using Avanti, front motormounts (shorter than the Larks), it might fit...BUT...
You'll need to cut open the back of the filter housing to clear the windshield wiper motor.

I know on my 54 wagon, to clear the motor, it's now got a huge hole in the back for the motor. It doesn't effect any air cleaning, the filter is still in full effect. Just more air getting in..!
Remember when cutting for clearance, the engine moves back and to the right...a little more room is required for that.

Mike

Mcwicki51
06-30-2016, 10:15 AM
Hello, I wanted to help share a visual of the setup that I hope to cram under my Cruiser hood. I think that the air cleaner is likely going on my Ford F-1 project and I will need to find a thinner cleaner with similar styling. Thanks, Steve

Mike Van Veghten
06-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Wow...never seen a big cast aluminum version. That's got to weigh a ton.!?
Yea, not sure that will fit in a normal Stude.

Mike

Mcwicki51
06-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Wow...never seen a big cast aluminum version. That's got to weigh a ton.!?
Yea, not sure that will fit in a normal Stude.

Mike

It really does.... I will be moving it over to my Ford Pick up....

Any ideas on a similar style that is thinner/shorter?

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.otbgear.com/Finned-Teardrop-4-Barrel-Air-Cleaner-P4.aspx

Steve

BILT4ME
06-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Now, something THAT cool requires one to cut a HOLE in the hood and let it be SEEN!

Hello, I wanted to help share a visual of the setup that I hope to cram under my Cruiser hood. I think that the air cleaner is likely going on my Ford F-1 project and I will need to find a thinner cleaner with similar styling. Thanks, Steve

Mcwicki51
06-30-2016, 02:36 PM
I found a good replacement.. Much shorter and smaller footprint. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Steve

StudebakerGene
07-01-2016, 01:15 AM

Here's a different way to go. I have one of Jeff Rice's mopar intakes and this air cleaner set up I bought @ Summit. I had to buy the lid separate and as for the bottom, I bought a Chevelle drop over a Holley 600 CFM double pumper. With the 4 inch filter, It just barely clears my t-Cab hood and the pick up on performance is shall we say "very noticeable." Also the design of the original intake is "antiquated" at best, a visual of the runners indicates that the fuel after atomimization actually travels uphill to the intake ports. The Mopar intake is a straight downward push, way much more performance than a spacer plate, also way more money, "your car, your performance." You will be more than happy afterwards.