Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial number location on a 39 Champion

Hi all,
    I have had a request from a UK member with a 1939 Champion coupe that came from Portugal for registration information for the registration authorities in the UK.

Is the serial number under the front left fender like on a 39 Commander or somewhere else ???

The guy says there is not one in that location.

Regards
    Greg
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

On my 39 CE the number is stamped in the bottom flange of the frame....the part which lies horizontal. The number stamping was pretty light and could not be read until the area was sanded a bit. It is right under the driver's left theigh...
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I'm no expert on prewar cars but years ago I looked at a 1940 Champion for sale locally, and if I recall correctly, the serial number plate was behind the drivers side (left) front wheel, and I think it was on the frame rail. I remember thinking that wasn't a real good place to put it, especially here in the "rust belt".

Comment

Parts books say "left side of frame under front fender". Owners manual says "on a plate riveted to the frame, under the left front fender". He might also look on the left door hinge post below the upper hinge for a riveted plate.
        Now if this was a CKD, European assembly car, it may have something entirely different.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

To further clarify, the '40 I looked at years ago had a riveted plate on the frame. I could just barely make out the serial number on it at the time.

Comment

a little more info to add...just checked my 39 commander...2 locations....its stamped quite well under the frame as t walgmuth stated. Also it is on a riveted plate under the front left fender on the frame like Blue 15G stated.

Comment

Working...
            X