PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Passing on a little info

Flashback
06-25-2016, 10:02 PM
I have noticed a lot of posts on driveline vibration, and about angles. I have been battling a vibration, for a while, along with getting ride height like I wanted. Haven't been doing much to my car for almost a year. But had this when I got out of commission. I FINALLY got the ride height last week, and got the drive line vibration completely out, just today. Tried it right before dark (no fenders yet, so no lights). It is Smooooth. I am smilin'. FYI I ended with a engine angle of -5.65, a front driveshaft angle of -4.65, a rear drive shaft angle of -2.00 and a pinion angle of +.50. The center hanger is in the right upper position. We gonna re torque heads and adjust valves and then start on front sheet metal. My Grandson (T.O.) and I will post some pictures of our progress.

Car -- 53 C body

Angle thru front joint 1 degree. Thru 2nd joint 2.65 at pinion 2.50

Engine-- 63 R1 Avanti

Trans.--T86 with O/D

Rear end-- S-10 Blazer

Drive shaft-- original type

StudeRich
06-26-2016, 12:43 AM
After all your research and adjustment work, do you believe that I am correct assuming that your Driveshaft Angles and Diff. angle are going to be peculiar to your particular (Lowered) Ride Height and also your custom Rear Axle installation including the Rear Springs?

Flashback
06-26-2016, 08:04 AM
After all your research and adjustment work, do you believe that I am correct assuming that your Driveshaft Angles and Diff. angle are going to be peculiar to your particular (Lowered) Ride Height and also your custom Rear Axle installation including the Rear Springs?

Not really. The numbers can be different. But, I was aiming for a 1 degree difference in the front joint and to have the center and pinion as close as possible to the same. I hit really close on this shot. Course, the modifications naturally changed the original. I tried all things. Finally I realized I must have a shaft vibrating and I tried a complete different shaft setup. Got better. Changed pinion angle 3 times. The third time, I got where I am now. Still had a small vibration. Tried changing the phasing and still had a little. Was taking out the driveshaft to take to get balanced Monday and decided to just try the front shaft I had in the car and the other rear shaft. I did, and put them IN phase. No vibration from 0 to 80 mph.

junior
06-26-2016, 08:30 AM
good to hear you're back in action Tex...it's been a while. the SNS ought to be a blast with the new engine, and I remember how sweet it was when I finally chased the vibration demons outa my coup. betcha you're stoked. cheers, junior

Flashback
06-30-2016, 06:37 PM
I remember you having some vibration problems. Yep, it feels good to not have the rear view vibrating to the point you can't see out it. The main thing I wanted to pass on here is the three angles that finally solved my problem. You just need a little a the front joint. (maybe 1) and the center and the rear need to be close to the same as possible.

AND YES, I am glad to be able to do something again.