Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolt in ford 9" rear end for '54 C body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt in ford 9" rear end for '54 C body?

Is there a stock application ford 9" rear end that would bolt into a C/K?

I am wondering if there is a stock rear end application that has correct sring pad locations and the same width? I know that the brakes and driveshaft would need some modification.

Any been there done that examples of this swap?
    Thanks,
    Brian

54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

I've done a few 9" swaps.
    Did my first one in 1975...still in the car.
    There are few, if any 9" rears out there that will 'bolt right up'.
    Most will require that you cut off the spring pads and weld new ones back on in the correct position.
    Not hard to do. Speedway sells new perches.
    Good thing is, that the driveshaft will be the same length and there's a good chance your u-joint will bolt right up
    (if you get the right yoke on the pumpkin).
    Bad new is that 9" prices are very high now.
    They haven't been in production for a long time and junkyard prices are getting up there.
    Another good alternative is the later model 8.8" rear.
    It can handle all but the real big HP stuff, and makes for a nice street swap.
    Disc brakes are common on them also.
    You can order a complete 9" rear, all loaded with axles, brakes, and the R&P of your choice,
    as well as a posi unit...all set to your desired width... for around $1500.
    Pretty cheap compared to building one up yourself (BTDT).
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 54stude

Is there a stock application ford 9" rear end that would bolt into a C/K?
    I am wondering if there is a stock rear end application that has correct sring pad locations and the same width? I know that the brakes and driveshaft would need some modification.
    Any been there done that examples of this swap?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Greetings, 54stude,

You probably have thought it through and have specific reasons why you want a Ford 9" for your application. Having said that, I've done a bunch of them in the past, but not recently. I've decided they are too heavy and too expensive and not really necessary. The Dana 44 with Fairborn flanged axles bolts right in, has gear sets all the way from 2.56 through 6.33 and posi units on the shelf at every 4x4/truck shop, they are still readily available and pretty much can guarantee you won't break one on street tires. Your car, your money, your choice.

thnx, Jack Vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

57 to 59 Station wagon and Ranchero bolt right in but expect to pay as much as a bare Currie unit for one.

Comment

Working...
        X