54 Champion C-K front bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 54 Champion C-K front bumpers

Question on front bumpers?I have some core bumpers that I am looking at picking one for rechroming.I notice that I have one that has only one bolt hole where the bumper guard mounts and have 2 others that have 2 holes approximately 1" center to center apart and the bumper mounting brackets have corresponding holes.What is the purpose of the dual holes?The holes are round not square like the ones for the oval bumper bolts.Or is it drilled for optional bumper guards like fog lamp type or something else?
    The holes are close enough that the bumper guard will cover the unused hole if I use a 2 hole but why the difference?I guess it gives the option of varying the bumper guard inboard or out board by 1". ????

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Question on front bumpers?I have some core bumpers that I am looking at picking one for rechroming.I notice that I have one that has only one bolt hole where the bumper guard mounts and have 2 others that have 2 holes approximately 1" center to center apart and the bumper mounting brackets have corresponding holes.What is the purpose of the dual holes?The holes are round not square like the ones for the oval bumper bolts.Or is it drilled for optional bumper guards like fog lamp type or something else?
    The holes are close enough that the bumper guard will cover the unused hole if I use a 2 hole but why the difference?I guess it gives the option of varying the bumper guard inboard or out board by 1". ????
    I would only guess that the round hole is for wiring of the optional fog lights

Comment

You probably have two different year model bumpers. square hole is for mounting, round for bolt on guards, went thru this on wifes 57 hawk. shined up 2 modified carriage bolts for round holes. Luck Doofus

Comment

I have had both rechromed the bumper guard should cover both holes I do not know what the second hole is for.It must have been for a
        slightly different position of the bumper guard .Thank You.Don

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I had the same problem with my 1962 GT Hawk. I think that the two round holes in the center of the front bumper are for the license plate bracket. I took two short square-shouldered bumper bolts and ground off the shoulders with a Dremel tool in order to make them fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1707701
          Bill L.
          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
            I had the same problem with my 1962 GT Hawk. I think that the two round holes in the center of the front bumper are for the license plate bracket. I took two short square-shouldered bumper bolts and ground off the shoulders with a Dremel tool in order to make them fit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55957[/ATTACH]
            The question pertains to two holes about one inch apart that would be covered by the bumper guard, not holes near the center where the license plate goes.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X