49 1 ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 1 ton

I purchased a 49 one ton 5years ago because it only had 6464 miles on it. I do not know what to do with it. Do I restore it to original as I won't be rebuilding rear ends or transmissions or any of the expensive stuff. But what would it be worth after I dump money in it.
    It has been in a garage, not running, since 1971 and was only driven to the guys work a mile and a half. It spent all it's running life in Needles Calif until I got and moved it into a garage in Mesa AZ.
    I would take suggestions of any type
    Thanks
    Jim
    jimmydsscreen@aol.com

quote:Originally posted by James Duel

I purchased a 49 one ton 5years ago because it only had 6464 miles on it. I do not know what to do with it. Do I restore it to original as I won't be rebuilding rear ends or transmissions or any of the expensive stuff. But what would it be worth after I dump money in it.
    It has been in a garage, not running, since 1971 and was only driven to the guys work a mile and a half. It spent all it's running life in Needles Calif until I got and moved it into a garage in Mesa AZ.
    Thanks
    Jim

Welcome aboard, Jim. Congratulations on owning such a low mileage truck. If you would post the model code and serial number from the data plate on the driver's step-well wall, I would be happy to decypher them for you. This would make sure you have what you believe you have. As you know, the '49 2R truck line was a complete new styling design on old drive train technology.

What is your long range plans for this vehicle? You seem to be concerned about its worth after 'dumping' money in it. Personally, for a low mileage truck, it should be easy to restore it to its original condition. If you're interested in having an original vehicle for show/having a personal historical vehicle to drive occasionally/pleasure owning a part of the history of a long line of
    Studebakers/a 'love' of this particular style of truck, restoration is the way to go. Plan to keep it and care for it.

If you intend to "fix" up the truck for resale in the short team, forget doing a full restoration. The costs, even with a low mileage vehicle, will probably exceed the cash value after completion. A one ton truck is not the most desirable truck to have nor the easiest to sell. Most folks want the 1/2 ton trucks to pour money into and they sell much quicker. Going the 'hot rod' route by bastardizing a one-ton truck will not guarantee greater worth.

IMHO, if you do not plan to keep it, then get it in running condition and do as much work on cleaning and fixing that you can do personally to save money. Use it for a while and then attempt to sell it through an antique car/truck venue. Either restoration or fix-up, you'll never hit the jackpot with this particular model of Studebaker truck.

This is only one man's opinion based on 45 years in the hobby, and I'm sure there are many more opinions out there. This is also an Easterner's view which may be different from the view in your part of the world.

Frank Drumheller
    Louisa, VA
    '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
    '48 M15-62 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by James Duel

Thanks
      Jim

Welcome aboard, Jim. Congratulations on owning such a low mileage truck. If you would post the model code and serial number from the data plate on the driver's step-well wall, I would be happy to decypher them for you. This would make sure you have what you believe you have. As you know, the '49 2R truck line was a complete new styling design on old drive train technology.

What is your long range plans for this vehicle? You seem to be concerned about its worth after 'dumping' money in it. Personally, for a low mileage truck, it should be easy to restore it to its original condition. If you're interested in having an original vehicle for show/having a personal historical vehicle to drive occasionally/pleasure owning a part of the history of a long line of
      Studebakers/a 'love' of this particular style of truck, restoration is the way to go. Plan to keep it and care for it.

If you intend to "fix" up the truck for resale in the short team, forget doing a full restoration. The costs, even with a low mileage vehicle, will probably exceed the cash value after completion. A one ton truck is not the most desirable truck to have nor the easiest to sell. Most folks want the 1/2 ton trucks to pour money into and they sell much quicker. Going the 'hot rod' route by bastardizing a one-ton truck will not guarantee greater worth.

IMHO, if you do not plan to keep it, then get it in running condition and do as much work on cleaning and fixing that you can do personally to save money. Use it for a while and then attempt to sell it through an antique car/truck venue. Either restoration or fix-up, you'll never hit the jackpot with this particular model of Studebaker truck.

This is only one man's opinion based on 45 years in the hobby, and I'm sure there are many more opinions out there. This is also an Easterner's view which may be different from the view in your part of the world.

Frank Drumheller
      Louisa, VA
      '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
      '48 M15-62 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

No matter which way you go is there any chance in you posting a couple of pics of this truck ...would be great to see !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
        1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

No matter which way you go is there any chance in you posting a couple of pics of this truck ...would be great to see !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
          1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hey James
            Congrats on the purchase of such a cool truck. I agree with Frank here. The 1 tons aren't a real popular truck for resale. I have a 59 one ton deluxe with a dump box here in Calif. Its had a hard life in its past. But you can't get a tougher truck for the money if you want to use it for work. It has never quit on the job. And when over loaded by mistake, has always finished the project. When I got to meets I walk through the trucks first for the love of the commercial class.

Gordon

Comment

Hey James
              Congrats on the purchase of such a cool truck. I agree with Frank here. The 1 tons aren't a real popular truck for resale. I have a 59 one ton deluxe with a dump box here in Calif. Its had a hard life in its past. But you can't get a tougher truck for the money if you want to use it for work. It has never quit on the job. And when over loaded by mistake, has always finished the project. When I got to meets I walk through the trucks first for the love of the commercial class.

Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark
                Hey James
                Gordon
                I'd like to see pictures of your truck Gordon, as well as Jim's.[]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Hey James
                  Gordon
                  I'd like to see pictures of your truck Gordon, as well as Jim's.[]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Mark
                    Are you sure you want to see a pic of my one ton with a dump box. Its not pretty like yours. But its not to bad. Its V8 & 5sp OD

Gordon

Comment

Mark
                      Are you sure you want to see a pic of my one ton with a dump box. Its not pretty like yours. But its not to bad. Its V8 & 5sp OD

Gordon

Comment

Mark
                        Gordon
                        Hmmm... never thought that trucks should be "pretty",[:0] if I had a bigger garage, I'd have me a 2 Ton HD model.[] However, I have purchased what I can properly store and care for and as you can tell, I like the Doehler grilled trucks best![^] That said, I pretty much like all Stude Trucks and am always interested in pictures of "new" ones.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Mark
                          Gordon
                          Hmmm... never thought that trucks should be "pretty",[:0] if I had a bigger garage, I'd have me a 2 Ton HD model.[] However, I have purchased what I can properly store and care for and as you can tell, I like the Doehler grilled trucks best![^] That said, I pretty much like all Stude Trucks and am always interested in pictures of "new" ones.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Your right Mark.
                            It was a bad choice of words on my part. It should have read not as nice looking as your truck. Here are a couple of pics. These are from our local drag strip. Prep work for our new surface. The truck helped out so the Lark and my daughters Jr Dragster would have a new surface to race.

Gordon

Comment

Your right Mark.
                              It was a bad choice of words on my part. It should have read not as nice looking as your truck. Here are a couple of pics. These are from our local drag strip. Prep work for our new surface. The truck helped out so the Lark and my daughters Jr Dragster would have a new surface to race.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X