PDA

View Full Version : Body: Rubber Inner Fender Skirts

Kato
06-20-2016, 07:31 PM
On my 62 GT there are some what I believe to be after market metal skirt guards at the rear of each fender to stop the worst of the debris kicked up by the tires but there are also heavy rubber ones on the inside to protect the engine. The one on the passenger side is intact but the driver's side is missing. Were these a factory installed items or are they after market as well. Can they still be purchased anywhere? They are held in place by what looks like very heavy staples! Here is a pic of the passenger side still in place:

And here is the missing driver's side:

Thanks!

swvalcon
06-20-2016, 07:46 PM
They where a factory item. If SI doesn't have them just get some rubber about the right thickness and make your own. I think they where held on by small staples but you could use pop rivets or small screws and washers if you need to.

Kato
06-20-2016, 07:52 PM
They where a factory item. If SI doesn't have them just get some rubber about the right thickness and make your own. I think they where held on by small staples but you could use pop rivets or small screws and washers if you need to.

OK excellent, thank you. I will check with SI.

Dwain G.
06-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Some people actually remove those flaps to provide an exit for air. Said to increase air flow through the radiator.

JoeHall
06-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Some people actually remove those flaps to provide an exit for air. Said to increase air flow through the radiator.

I've always heard that too. So when they are missing, of fall off, I have always just left them off. Dunno if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt, since modern roads are no where near as muddy & dirty as they were 50-60 years ago.

Kato
06-21-2016, 08:23 AM
I've always heard that too. So when they are missing, of fall off, I have always just left them off. Dunno if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt, since modern roads are no where near as muddy & dirty as they were 50-60 years ago.

Good to know, thanks.. I certainly do not drive the car on dirt or muddy roads so maybe I will just leave it off then, and save money too!