Climatic Control Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climatic Control Day!

Decided to take my '63 R2 for a spin this afternoon and noticed that it 'wasn't happy' on the first start. (stalled once, stumbling)......VERY unusual for this baby!
    THEN I REMEMBERED!!...the "Carter Climatic Control' was still set at its 'winter' position, which is -2.

I reset the choke control to its 'summer' position +1,...and what a diff!....smooth high idle with no (cold) stalling.

This is what happens when we let our Studes sit for too long, and forget what's-what!

Actually, this Avanti isn't really 'happy' unless it's traveling at least 70 mph!
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is a beautiful Avanti. What kinda transmission? Rear end ratio?

The Germans say, "Its not how fast you go, its how well you go fast."

Does your Avanti go fast well? I am guessing yes. Except maybe MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Wow, that is a beautiful Avanti. What kinda transmission? Rear end ratio?

The Germans say, "Its not how fast you go, its how well you go fast."

Does your Avanti go fast well? I am guessing yes. Except maybe MPG.

Thanks Joe, that's kind of you.....it's an automatic (and that's the only thing I don't like about this car) and it has a 3.31 TT rear.....I've owned her since about 1989. (And she will DEFINITELY go faster than I will ever drive her! )

Comment

Automatic, with 3.31 would be my preference, if I could afford an Avanti. With the 3.31, MPG should be somewhat reasonable, I'd think.

Comment

Joe,....in anything like an 'everyday driver', I also prefer an automatic trans, but in a 'sporty type' car that's not used all that much, (as is the case with this Avanti), I'd really prefer a 4 speed!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Joe,....in anything like an 'everyday driver', I also prefer an automatic trans, but in a 'sporty type' car that's not used all that much, (as is the case with this Avanti), I'd really prefer a 4 speed!

That is what my old Avanti was... R-1 and loads of fun to drive! But as you get older, automatics become more attractive!

Click image for larger version

Name:	OldAvanti.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1707375

Taken in 1972 somewhere in MA..

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                That is what my old Avanti was... R-1 and loads of fun to drive! But as you get older, automatics become more attractive!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55532[/ATTACH]

Taken in 1972 somewhere in MA..
                Grump,....your old Avanti looks familiar to me! (I think because of the dual stripe whitewalls)...Do you remember any of the old Mass-RI Chapter SDC gang?

Comment

Grump,....your old Avanti looks familiar to me! (I think because of the dual stripe whitewalls)...Do you remember any of the old Mass-RI Chapter SDC gang?
                  I remember the dual white walls but they were only on one axel and I remember buying a lot of NOS Hawk items from Sheldon Henderson that still reside on my '56 Power Hawk. The Avanti is long gone now residing somewhere in Australia. Also, Mark Keilan (sp?) painted both of my cars later in the 1970's.

Comment

Your '56 Power Hawk wasn't painted all black was it?

Comment

Yes. How did you know?

Comment

I remember the dual white walls but they were only on one axel and I remember buying a lot of NOS Hawk items from Sheldon Henderson that still reside on my '56 Power Hawk. The Avanti is long gone now residing somewhere in Australia. Also, Mark Keilan (sp?) painted both of my cars later in the 1970's.
                        Sheldon passed on around 2002...a wonderful gentleman, who assisted many Boston area Stude fans with parts and restorations....sadly missed!

Mark Keilan is still going strong restoring Studes and other makes...as well as doing late model collision work....Mark is now assisted by his son Jeff.

Comment

Your '56 Power Hawk wasn't painted all black was it?
                          Yep and still is...

Comment

Yep and still is...
                            I remember your car...and speaking to you about it!...Nice to hear that you still have it......not many folks hold on to them for that length of time!

Do you happen to remember a bright gold '56 GH with white fin accents?

Comment

Working...
                            X