Great Race stops in Vacaville CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Race stops in Vacaville CA

The 2016 Great Race began today in San Rafael California and is expected to conclude in Moline Illinois on June 26th. Their first stop was in Vacaville California and I was there to look for Studebakers. The first to arrive was a 1955 President driven by Annegret Reichmann and navigated by Uli Kammholz both from Kirkland Washington. I spoke with Annegret and she informed me that they were not members of SDC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1751182 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_007.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1751183

The only other Studebaker (out of 137 participants) was a 64 Daytona Driven by Steve Hedke and navigated by Janet Hedke. They are from Santa Clarita California and are SDC members. Steve told me he frequents the Forum and recognized SDUDE (me). I told him I would post pictures on the forum and hopefully he will contribute to this thread with some updates on how they are doing.

Name:	WP_20160618_023.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1751184 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_025.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1751185 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_027.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1751186

There were some pretty spectacular cars there, my favorite being a 1927 T35b Bugatti. I took advantage of the hood being opened to snap a picture of the beautiful powerplant.

Name:	WP_20160618_026.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1751187 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_009.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1751188

After all the cars arrived, Carlene and I stuffed ourslelves with a spectacular taco salad. When we came out of the restaurant, all the cars were gone except on old car. As we neared the car, I told Carlene, "that looks like a Studebaker". sure enough it was a beautiful, apparently stock, 1942 Champion.

Name:	WP_20160618_033.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1751189 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_034.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1751190 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160618_035.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1751191

They are on their way. Look for them at stopovers in Old Sacramento, Gardnerville NV, Reno, Austin NV, Elko, Wendover UT, Evanston WY, Rawlins WY, Cheyenne, Lusk WY, Rapid City SD, Chamberlin SD, Sioux Falls, Mason City, Cedar Rapids IA, and Walcott IA. Last stop is Moline IL. Please post updates at any of these stopovers and make sure you say hi to Steve and Janet. They are one of us.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Steve and Janet are members of the Los Angeles chapter and they placed 5th overall last year in the same Studebaker. Good luck to all the participants in the race!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me Howard! Yes they were there last year :

Name:	Great American Race HT.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1707328 Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Great Amer. Race 2015e.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1707329 Very Nice Hilibrand repros!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-18-2016, 04:58 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Karen and I have seen two Great Race events up close and personal, there is always VERY cool stuff ! Thanks for posting this Sdude ! here is more from this years event . http://www.greatrace.com/

Comment

Oh man! I need to pay closer attention to these events. We're just a few minutes south of San Raphael.

That Type 35 is spectacular.
          Compared to its contemporaries Alfas, Mercedes and Bentleys, those Bugattis are such precious little jewels.
          Had I the means to own one, I'd also have to own a turntable in my living room.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Love the Champion! What an interesting colour!

Andy, your comment about keeping a Bugatti in your living room is right up my alley. Only I'd want this Studebaker in my Livingroom:
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Excellent stuff, Jon; thanks for the report.

GO Annegret and Uli...and the Hedkes; all the best. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                Karen and I have seen two Great Race events up close and personal, there is always VERY cool stuff ! Thanks for posting this Sdude ! here is more from this years event . http://www.greatrace.com/
                Thanks for the great link. I signed up for updates. Lots of super photography - check it out.

Nice picture of Steve and Janet in there. Look for it. (Steve's easy to spot with that Lazy S patch on his jacket)
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I made it to the start of the Great Race yesterday and was happy to see two Studebakers competing. I didn't see either team before the start of the race, but I was able to take photos of the two cars. It is a precision timed event and I noticed inside each car was a large clock and a special speedometer. No modern devices such as GPS or cell phones are allowed. Good Luck to both teams!!
                  Attached Files
                  sigpicAl Reed
                  North Bay Area, CA
                  1961 Lark Regal Skytop
                  1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

I was on I 80 yesterday and got passed by the boat Tail roadster in the picture and a old dodge tow truck. Very cool.

Comment

I saw 7 or 8 of them Sunday heading up Highway 50 on the way to the John M Studebaker Wheelbarrow Races. They were just coming to the "big" hill.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I caught them at the Old Sacramento finish on Saturday.

Name:	stude1small.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1707401Click image for larger version

Name:	stude2small.jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1707402Click image for larger version

Name:	stude4small.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1707404Click image for larger version

Name:	stude3small.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1707403
                        Dean Seavers
                        Sacramento, CA

Comment

Bump up for Steve and Janet. They finished 11th overall and 5th in their class. Bravo....
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Does the great race require you to put all those stickers on your car?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X