57 Golden Hawk MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk MPG

My fuel gauge works, kinda, and I'm trying to figure out what my mileage should be so I won't run out of gas on the way down to RI. Is 10MPG about right? Filled up, drove 182 miles and the tank was dry. Waited 2 hours for a tow, couldn't believe I'd run out already. I don't really tromp on the pedal too much to hear that S/C whine so would like to know if this is correct, seems kinda low to me. Any thoughts??

I have a Packard 352" in my '56 Golden Hawk and am getting around 16 - 18 MPG. Something maybe adrift with your car as am sure you should be getting similar
    Richard
    sigpic

Comment

Probably somewhat less, due to the built in "odometer error". I always play it safe with my Avanti, extra 1 gallon can in trunk. As far as being low, I don't know-as a comparison when I was in college, my 1959 T'Bird 352 A/T gave me a consistent 9.5 MPG. Others will ask what type of transmission and types of roads you were driving on, to me, be safe, fill every 150 indicated miles, can of emergency gas in trunk and no tow bills.

Comment

Since most are automatics, your MPG should be in the 14-16 range, minimum.

First, make everything new in the ignition system; points, condensor, rotor, cap, wires and plugs. Have the distributor rebuilt and the curves confirmed on a machine.

Then, and only then, start working on the carb. These days, wide-band O2 sensors are the only way to go. Back when, we'd read spark plug insulator color. Today's pump gas doesn't work that way and plug reading is a lost art.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
          I have a Packard 352" in my '56 Golden Hawk and am getting around 16 - 18 MPG. Something maybe adrift with your car as am sure you should be getting similar
          Imperial gallons or US gallon equivalent? 1.0 Imperial gallon = approximately 1.2 US.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
            Probably somewhat less, due to the built in "odometer error". I always play it safe with my Avanti, extra 1 gallon can in trunk. As far as being low, I don't know-as a comparison when I was in college, my 1959 T'Bird 352 A/T gave me a consistent 9.5 MPG. Others will ask what type of transmission and types of roads you were driving on, to me, be safe, fill every 150 indicated miles, can of emergency gas in trunk and no tow bills.
            Thanks for the info everyone. I'll go by the odometer and the 150 mile rule, should keep me out of trouble. Gas can not a bad idea either but on the back roads from Maine to RI, stations may be farther apart than that. Plan ahead they say.Trouble shooting will have to take place after we return from Warwick. She doesn't seem to run rich so I don't think it's the carb, really don't want to open that airbox if I don't have too.

Comment

....when at the show, open the hood and sound "dumb".... bet you get over 100 answers to your mpg question)....have fun...GL

Comment

Why take the back roads? Plenty of gas on 95, just stay in the right lane, if you don't want to go 70. Tow trucks and road service a lot faster there!!

Comment

The 56J's 352, and 57-58 Golden Hawks are apples and oranges. Also, the 57-58 supercharged 289s are apples and oranges with all other Stude V8s, when it comes to MPG.

If you are getting 10 MPG, that's about as good as it is gonna get. You can tweak it a bit, and maybe squeeze 11-12 MPG, but that's about it. That was my bro-in-law's experience with his, for around 20,000 miles. He's a real good mechanic from way back, and did some extensive tweaking on his, but 11-12 MPG is the best her ever got, with or without the SC hooked up. If you can trust the gauge, you might wanna start looking for gas when it hits 1/4 tank from now on.

Comment

1974 George Krem drove his R3 Commander 2400 miles across the US and averaged 16.33 mpg. Jack V. is right, most Stude V8 make 16 mpg. Expect 15% less mileage on Ethanol. I would use at least a 2.5 gallon container of fuel or stop every 100 miles so people can see your Car! Advertise our Club.
                    I was reading a thread on my motorcycle forum about Premium fuels. One guy spoke up who was a Truck driver delivering fuel to stations. He went into one store and told them he had filled their regular unleaded tank but did not have any Premium left for them. The Gas Station owner said fill the Premium Tank with Regular. I don't know if that is a common practice, but something to keep in mind.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	old pics scanned april 23 2016 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1707235

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                      Around home with the two GTs and 56J, I gas up every 200-250 miles, and usually take 13-15 gallons to top off. On the road, its ever 250-300 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        The 56J's 352, and 57-58 Golden Hawks are apples and oranges. Also, the 57-58 supercharged 289s are apples and oranges with all other Stude V8s, when it comes to MPG.

If you are getting 10 MPG, that's about as good as it is gonna get. You can tweak it a bit, and maybe squeeze 11-12 MPG, but that's about it. That was my bro-in-law's experience with his, for around 20,000 miles. He's a real good mechanic from way back, and did some extensive tweaking on his, but 11-12 MPG is the best her ever got, with or without the SC hooked up. If you can trust the gauge, you might wanna start looking for gas when it hits 1/4 tank from now on.
                        Joe is right, my '57 GH, after a total rebuild, it can't get any better than 11MPG.
                        That's after a Phil Harris rebuild on the supercharger and the Stromberg carb....You just watch the gas gauge plummet when you kick the s/c in.
                        .....But....When you equate the mileage of today's muscle cars...........My '57GH is right there in the mix.............

Comment

My brother and I usually travel together when we go longer distance with his 56 President 289 4bbl and my 57 Clipper with supercharger both have 3.31 rear axles and automatic he has bias tires and mine are radials . On trips when we stop for gas very close to same number of gallons but mine is premium. not more than one mpg difference. Granted I do not have to use the supercharger when cruising on the highway. These results include trip to Gettysburg Summit racing and to Chillicothe Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            Around home with the two GTs and 56J, I gas up every 200-250 miles, and usually take 13-15 gallons to top off. On the road, its ever 250-300 miles.
                            At 15 Gal. to go 250 Miles, that would be 16.6 MPG, not a bad average, most Stude. V8's get about 12-14 in City or mixed and more on Highway Cruise.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              At 15 Gal. to go 250 Miles, that would be 16.6 MPG, not a bad average, most Stude. V8's get about 12-14 in City or mixed and more on Highway Cruise.
                              Rich,
                              Both of the GTs have EFI; the 62GT has a T85/OD, and the 63GT has a 700R tranny. The 56J has a T85/OD and, "baby Holley" four barrel, 450 CFM. They all get around 20 MPG on the interstate, and 14-17 elsewhere. In other words, all my Studes are set up to drive.

My driving here in KY is mostly town & country, but often includes the interstate. I keep a log in each Stude, and jot down mileage and gallons at each fill up. That way, I can look back on any stretch of time, and review mileage for each car. Their averages are quite consistent. I am sorry if none of yours come close to mine in MPG

Comment

Working...
                              X