Traveling out west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling out west

The Mrs. and I have been traveling around the west for the last two weeks. We've been to Yellowstone and other places. My top car guy thing was visiting the fabled Bonneville Salt flats. There's not a whole lot there to see except the unique shimmering whiteness of the flats. It resembles nothing more than snowy ice. The day we arrived it rained so there was a lot of water standing around on the salt. The flats were closed to driving on them but when they are nice and dry you can drive out on them. I was hoping to do that but I guess rain this time of year is common. there is no museum there though there is rumors of one being planned. The truck stop nearest the racing surface has some t shirts, hats and the usual stuff with various bonneville images displayed. I did not see any Avantis or 53 Studes though to my disappointment!

I have not seen a Studebaker on the road or parked on this trip, though I did see a early fifties looking pickup rear being used as a trailer.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

I believe the salt is currently closed to vehicular traffic because of the poor condition of the salt. There has been no racing out there for the past 2 years. Very sad situation. I believe there may be a thread on here somewhere with a lengthy conversation about this.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Unfortunately unsavory business practices and lack of oversight enforcing the rules to protect the salt from these businesses have ruined the salt flats. The most recent things I read indicate they are now gone forever as far as speed trials are concerned. People should be jailed but as usual in big $$ business the perps get to walk free while the rest of us do without. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear of the Salt Flat condition!
        We always keep an eye out for spotting Studebakers when we travel.
        Last trip to Florida we passed a nice 1950 Land Cruiser near Lake Worth. Year before we passed a nice red M series pickup on the Ohio Turnpike.
        Always a treat!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
          Sorry to hear of the Salt Flat condition!
          We always keep an eye out for spotting Studebakers when we travel.
          Last trip to Florida we passed a nice 1950 Land Cruiser near Lake Worth. Year before we passed a nice red M series pickup on the Ohio Turnpike.
          Always a treat!
          Its lonely out there for Studebaker drivers. Two years ago in the 62GT, on a 5000 mile, meandering trip from KY to CA and back, we saw maybe 6-8 other Studes. All but one were relics parked in various stages of decomp. We did see a 1963/64 Avanti on the road in Joshua Tree Nat. Park in California. We both honked, pulled over, and chatted awhile.

Bummer to hear about the salt flats.

Comment

For a Studebaker guy the salt flats and the Salt Flats cafe are certainly places to stop if you are close by. The Cafe has lots of pictures and some memorabilia. There are some with Studebaker content.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1707242
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Back in 2010 I was traveling to Glacier National Park, while driving north on Highway 20 towards Thermopolis, WY A Studebaker Pickup popped out of a tunnel.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1707243

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                For a Studebaker guy the salt flats and the Salt Flats cafe are certainly places to stop if you are close by. The Cafe has lots of pictures and some memorabilia. There are some with Studebaker content.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55333[/ATTACH]
                Nothing says Bonneville better than a 53 Stude!Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6235.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1707418Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6239.jpg
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1707419

Comment

Apparently they are not closed according to this BLM roster of 2016 events.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                    Apparently they are not closed according to this BLM roster of 2016 events.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_...onneville.html
                    That is great!

Comment

They are not closed. In fact the land is owned by the state of Utah. They are suing to retain the rights to run the park again. Don't know how the BLM got control over the land. The mining of salt has stopped on the racing side and will not continue. The problem now is during a particularly hard rain a lot of soil was washed onto the salt. The mining operation, as part of their deal, has been flooding this area with brine. This has left the soil between the layers of salt making for unpredictable driving conditions. They are experimenting with methods to remedy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X