8E5 112" Front Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 8E5 112" Front Springs

My 8E5 Champs front springs have no arc, not unusual I'm sure. The front springs bottom out a lot which I'm sure is not good. There are five springs in each set.
    I'm sure that the truck started out with a 6 cyl. and now it has a 289 V8. with a GMC hydro trans.
    Is there an "overload option", such as adding an extra spring to each set? I'm not sure the U bolts will fit with another spring and the shackle certainly will not.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Attached Files

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

I'm sure you could have the springs reset and a helper spring added if required.
    Alternatively a good pair of second hand springs would also do.
    Peter

Comment

My 8E5 Champs front springs have no arc,
      They actually have a negative arch in front of the second leaf; a very bad thing.

The Stude springs were not very good to begin. If it were mine, I'd go down to the local truck spring shop and ask them to build me two new main leaves with good, large diameter bushings with steel center sleeves. Current science trucks use fewer, thicker leaves, so they can make it as thick as you and they think necessary.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

After looking at that pic. I went out and looked at my 8E5 and compared to yours, your spring is flat, with no arch. My spring pack has 6 leaves and only a couple of threads past the nut. Looks like someone removed a leaf and put a lot of weight on that front end.

Comment

V8 and 6cyl. springs. Mine is a six and am anticipating installing 259 in someday. So I put V8 springs from a parts truck. It sits a bit high but sure it will take a normal stance once 8 is installed. I'd say Vern Edigar Halstead, Ks would have a pair. Wouldn't be a real long trip for you and he'll show lots trucks , parts and entertain you. Fun guy. Or Call Eaton Spring and have a pair made.
          Hope this helps,
          Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
            I'd say Vern Edigar Halstead, Ks would have a pair. Wouldn't be a real long trip for you and he'll show lots trucks , parts and entertain you. Fun guy. Or Call Eaton Spring and have a pair made.
            Hope this helps,
            Kim
            I second that. Vern Ediger can probably provide you with a good used set for a very reasonable price. And BTW, I think SI has brand new sets for around $700.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X