Looking for a 7 Lb Radiator Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Looking for a 7 Lb Radiator Cap

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an available 7 Lb radiator cap for a 3/4" filler neck depth.

A few years ago I bought an old radiator that had been pulled from a 53 Commander Coupe. I had the local radiator shop recore it. When I picked it up, he said the bottom tank was marginal and I should run a 7 Lb cap. I finally am getting my project to the point where I installed the radiator and discovered it has a 3/4" filler neck depth. It must not have been original to the 53 which would have had a 1" neck.

Thanks for any help.
    Cliff
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

Cliff, I'll look at the new Caps that I have and let You know.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Don't know if this will work http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/40...FUI6gQodvLUDUg

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        Thanks. It might work. The overall height is a bit less so I did some more digging and found this Vintage Cap Catalog on the Stant website. http://www.stant.com/files/2714/0979...tage_Guide.pdf

It shows the Stant 10206 is a 7 psi cap that fits Studes with a 1" filler neck. Used on 52-54 and some early 55 cars. Also some 59-60 pickups that were built with 1" necks.
        The Stant 10228 is a 7 psi cap that fits Studes with a 3/4" neck. Used on some 59-60 pickups that were built with 3/4" necks.
        The Stant 10229 is a 13 psi cap that fits late 55 and newer cars with a 3/4" neck.

All these caps are available from RockAuto for less than $3 each. If you pull up the part number on RA's website, there is a blue info button that will bring up the dimensions of the cap. These three caps are all identical except for filler neck and psi rating.

Looks like I'll order a 10228. It was also used on some 55-59 Chevys and 55-56 Chryslers so should be readily available.
        Cliff
        54 Commander Coupe driver
        53 Commander Hardtop project
        SE Washington State

Comment

Working...
        X