Turner front brake conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner front brake conversion question

I want to make sure I am getting this right. I put Turner discs on the front of the 61 Hawk and I would like to replace the front wheel bearings. Now I don't remember which wheel bearings to use. I went to the Turner site and Studebaker wheel bearings are indicted, but do I use both inner and outer Studebaker bearings in the Ford rotors?
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

If you are saying that the brakes have been in use already, just take them out and get the same numbers or their interchange. Otherwise, contact Jim Turner and ask him.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

If Jim supplied the rotors they will be Mustang ones so you will need mustang bearings
      They are the same ID and OD as Studebaker but the original Studebaker bearings are too wide.
      Mustang bearings are thinner.
      Geoff

Comment

Thanks guys
        Don Watson
        61 Hawk

Comment

They are the A-2 and A-6 bearings. Same as the Mustang, and also the same as the Avanti.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

There's an important lesson to be learned here. Whenever you make any kind of modification to a car, you should note in detail what the replacement parts are from and the part numbers of those replacement parts. Just buy a little 5x8 notebook at Staples and start keeping track of this stuff. I have created spread sheets in Excel with lists of all kinds of parts both OEM and replacement alternatives. I've listed voltage regulators, points, distributor caps, wheel cylinders, pinion seals, u-joints, etc., etc., etc. Not only does will it save me endless searching when I need an item, but it will be useful for the next owner should I ever decide to sell the car. I like Nate's lists too, but he lists many more year's and models than I want, AND it's always such a pain to fine him on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
              There's an important lesson to be learned here. Whenever you make any kind of modification to a car, you should note in detail what the replacement parts are from and the part numbers of those replacement parts. Just buy a little 5x8 notebook at Staples and start keeping track of this stuff. I have created spread sheets in Excel with lists of all kinds of parts both OEM and replacement alternatives. I've listed voltage regulators, points, distributor caps, wheel cylinders, pinion seals, u-joints, etc., etc., etc. Not only does will it save me endless searching when I need an item, but it will be useful for the next owner should I ever decide to sell the car. I like Nate's lists too, but he lists many more year's and models than I want, AND it's always such a pain to fine him on the internet.
              Google studebaker interchange nagel and you will find it.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
                All so true. I do keep records of mods done to the car. Just not this one, besides, I would miss out on the expertise of the forum.
                Don Watson
                61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X