1950 Champion Brakes Trunk Weather Stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1950 Champion Brakes Trunk Weather Stripping

Hello, anyone out there ever replace the weather stripping on a 1950 Studebaker Champion (two-door) trunk?

If so, any pointers, e.g., lessons learned, things to avoid, easiest way to do it, best place to find the replacement part and bang for the buck? Please let me know, thanks.

All I remember off hand about replacing the trunk weatherstripping is that the upper corners are the tough part. I think I recall that I used some blue tape to hold it in place on the corners and a few other spots, then CAREFULLY closed the trunk on it. I might have also masked the outer lip of the trunk to keep adhesive off the paint. Use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (product # 08008). Get the black color, not the yellow, although that yellow is probably more authentic.
    An old hacksaw blade or even a piece of one (pushing on the end) works well as a scraper to get the old weatherstrip out of the channel in the trunk and doors.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Remember the instructions on 3M weatherstrip adhesive is like most contact adhesives, apply to both surfaces (trunk groove and rubber) allow to dry (skim over) add some fresh and stick together. Get it right, as once stuck...

Frank DuVal
      Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

And don't install it backwards like I did. 30 years later and it is still an embarrassment, although only I know about it. Oops! Now you all do too
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Blu Stu View Post
          ... best place to find the replacement part and bang for the buck? Please let me know, thanks.
          That would be from any number of our Studebaker vendors!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            And don't install it backwards like I did. 30 years later and it is still an embarrassment, although only I know about it. Oops! Now you all do too
            Don't be embarrassed Roy, we watched a well known long time Studebaker vendor install the trunk rubber on a GT Hawk upside down at one of our meets. And the owner of the car was paying for that!

Chris.

Comment

Thanks for the tips John. Hopefully, I won't bugger this up.

- - - Updated - - -

Words of wisdom Frank. Thanks

Anthony

Comment

Roy, is there a way to know the difference between the side of the stripping that should go down into the channel and the side that should face the trunk lid?

Anthony

Comment

Hi Chris, if I elect to have someone with appropriate expertise replace the weather stripping to avoid buggering the job myself, I'll make sure they know which side is up. Thanks

Anthony

Comment

I thought the problem was which side faces IN rather than which side faces UP.

I'll have to look at the weather stripping on my restored 50 Champion.

Comment

There is a split section and the open side of the split goes outward, away from the trunk opening.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X