No announcement yet.

Looking For Clutch Pedal Linkage Parts For '61 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Looking For Clutch Pedal Linkage Parts For '61 Champ

I am looking at replacing the parts that connect my clutch pedal to the clutch release mechanism on my '61 Champ truck. Mine are getting sloppy from wear. There are nearly a dozen small parts that make up this linkage. Does anyone know of a good resource for these parts? I can look up specific part numbers from my parts manual if needed.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Ever thought of converting it to a hydraulic setup??no linkage

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
      Ever thought of converting it to a hydraulic setup??no linkage
      That would be awesome, but it sounds expensive. Do you have more information? You can PM me if you do.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

There are no "kits" per se, you would have to fabricate a bracket to mount your slave cylinder so that it can push/pull your TO bearing shaft lever. Fab a bracket to mount another master cylinder under the floor so that par of your current linkage arm can depress the new master, and run a hose between the two. If you had hanging pedals it would be simpler. Try contacting "Alan" on here, he seems to have done about everything and might have some hints.

Comment

I am considering going hydraulic myself. I am about to pull the engine in my Avanti and convert from the Powershift to a T10. Mc Leod as well as other make a variety of conversions. All will require a master cylinder, some use a slave cylinder that works the arm on the throw out shaft, another method is to pull the shaft and mount a hydraulic throw out bearing. To my mind, this is the better way to go, any thoughts?

Here's an example;
          Last edited by spokejr; 06-10-2016, 06:58 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Best to use is the Quick Time bell housing with the tri-light TO bearing that bolts to the inside of the trans mounting face. In an Avanti you have to use a 90 degree off master mounting bracket and drill a hole in the fiberglass to fill it from the top, inside the engine compartment.

Comment

Go to the Unofficial Studebaker swap page and find Lenny Majors ad. I bought a clutch pedal from him last week. He may have other linkage pieces. He seems to have quite a few parts for Champs
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

One problem that can come from using a hydraulic throwout bearing is if the seal fails. When this happens the clutch plate gets oiled and you are going no where. If you have a slave cylinder working the arm on the throwout shaft, at least the plates are dry and you can limp home if you know how to shift without the clutch. Also, when you fix the leaking cylinder you don't have to drop the trans. Mike at Schrader's Speed and Sport had this happen on a client's car...way out in the middle of no where. Looked like a great idea in the beginning though.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                  One problem that can come from using a hydraulic throwout bearing is if the seal fails. When this happens the clutch plate gets oiled and you are going no where. If you have a slave cylinder working the arm on the throwout shaft, at least the plates are dry and you can limp home if you know how to shift without the clutch. Also, when you fix the leaking cylinder you don't have to drop the trans. Mike at Schrader's Speed and Sport had this happen on a client's car...way out in the middle of no where. Looked like a great idea in the beginning though.
                  Although not in my current car, the hydraulic TO bearing on my 05 PT cruiser began to fail at 30,000 miles, would sometimes need to be pumped like a brake pedal, total failure arrived at 70,000 with the ensuing need for replacement. Unlike the external slave type, it required the quite expensive transaxle removal and a not really needed clutch replacement-done only since it was apart already. Despite the ease of the hydraulic bearing install, vs. a slave with some bracket fabrication I'm going to try the external method.

Comment

Working...
                  X