62 R3 Hawk clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 R3 Hawk clone

Wife and I went to a local car show here in University Place and saw just one Studebaker but what a beauty. A bright red 62 Hawk with an R3 clone for an engine, with 4 speed and black interior. He said that he had spent over seven thousand on the engine to bring it to R3 specs. Very nice show, I hope to enter the 61 next year. Spent some time talking to him and forgot to get his name, great day. Also forgot my camera.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

There's a Stude Forum member who always says:...."It didn't happen if you don't post pictures".........But I wont say that!.......I'm glad you had a good time!

Comment

next time for sure.
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

If he made a real R-3 clone motor for $7000 thats not bad I would think 10-12 grand would be more like it. I built a drag race 351 ford stroker motor for a local drag racer and he had most of the parts but said he had over $12,000 in it pan to carb. Now you cry a little when you scattter that all over the track.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          If he made a real R-3 clone motor for $7000 thats not bad I would think 10-12 grand would be more like it.
          FWIW, it's only the heads which are expensive. If one already has an R2 core and the R3 heads, an R3 could easily be built for less than $5,000.

saw just one Studebaker but what a beauty. A bright red 62 Hawk with an R3 clone for an engine, with 4 speed and black interior. He said that he had spent over seven thousand on the engine to bring it to R3 specs.
          We have no way of knowing what was done with this engine. However, I was at a SoCal show and just adding an R3 airbox to an R2 was enough for bragging rights. Some know better, some hope you don't.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X