Flightomatic removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightomatic removal

Can a flightomatic be removed from the car without removing the major crossmember? I have a good jack that tilts forward. Car is on tall jack stands. just finished building a motor support like in the shop manual. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for your help Lou Cote [8D]

quote:Originally posted by dynolou2

Can a flightomatic be removed from the car without removing the major crossmember? I have a good jack that tilts forward. Car is on tall jack stands. just finished building a motor support like in the shop manual. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for your help Lou Cote [8D]
    What model car is it in?
    When dealing with a Flightomatic, I usually undo the 4 bolts that hold the transmission proper to the bellhousing, pull the tranny straight back to disengage the shaft from the converter, and then drop it down and out, just as you would do a manual transmission. Drain the tranny AND torque converter first. A regular floor jack will work fine; if you have an extra pair of hands to steady it, even better.

Then you can quite easily remove the bellhousing and converter, using a jack and wood block under the oil pan to support the engine. The crossmember can remain untouched.

Doing it as a two-step job allows you to handle smaller components that are not nearly as heavy, or as unbalanced as the the complete transmission is. Makes the job easier, and safer. Working on your back under the car is never easy, so might as well take every step you can to make matters easier.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, it is my 62 Hawk - sorry I left that part out. Was supposed to pull today but an offer of free douglas fir rounds and use of a wood splitter derailed that. I loaded my pickup, 1 cord down atleast 1 to go shoulders sore. I first started r & r transmissions flat backing in 1985, still using that method at home, using a hoist at work. One of the worst pulls was when we were swamped december or january outside in the snow, went in to warm hands about every 15 minutes.. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
      X