Repro Parts Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repro Parts Wish List

Any one keeping track of parts who's NOS source has dried up, or not yet reproduced? Also could include parts that usually require much work to be sevicable. The list would mainly be Post-War, but Pre-War could also be included. If this list could be compiled (I volunteer if no one else is doing it), it might spur the budding entrepreneurs(French for unemployed) among us, as well as established purveyors who grace Turning Wheels with their offerings, to action for the betterment of Studebakers everywhere.

Rod Barclay
    North Texas Wheel
    Argyle, TX.
    dalsource@verizon.net

I suppose a few could have "fallen in the cracks", but for the most part, the Studebaker Vendors know which parts are NLA, and if they could be economically, (call that profitably) reproduced, and have some kind of demand, usually "universal fit" for several years, they will eventually be made. Unfortunately most do NOT fit those criteria, because it would take a hundred years to sell enough to pay for the tooling, let alone make a small profit!

We pretty much need to save usable old parts, and REPAIR those that can be, to use what we have because there never will be enough demand to make new ones. [V]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

An excellent question to ask Rod.
      This question is asked almost daily by most of us.
      But...
      The research it takes is not one that just pop's out at you.
      First place to look is here on the Studebaker Driver's Club website, and then look on the Studebaker Web Ring.
      Look at production run totals, and look at the SDC roster.
      Get a good handle on how much potential there is in the marketplace to see if it is cost effective to repop a part.
      Committing to a production run of a thousand emblems for a marketplace of a hundred vehicles is a sure fire way to drain your wallet.
      Market research is tough. Those that do the work want to get paid back for it.
      Volunteering that info for free isn't likely to happen.
      You have to dig it out, analyze it, and make the investment in time and money to design, manufacture, market, and sell your re-creation.
      A lot of people do this process in order to fill a need they might have for a particular car or project they have. Once that need has been met, then the overflow becomes available for others...many times at a loss to the original purveyor.
      Sometimes the commitment grows and a small unique business is formed.
      Maybe that new business might be yours!
      Best of luck.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rod Barclay

Any one keeping track of parts who's NOS source has dried up, or not yet reproduced? Also could include parts that usually require much work to be sevicable. The list would mainly be Post-War, but Pre-War could also be included. If this list could be compiled (I volunteer if no one else is doing it), it might spur the budding entrepreneurs(French for unemployed) among us, as well as established purveyors who grace Turning Wheels with their offerings, to action for the betterment of Studebakers everywhere.
      Rod Barclay
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

53 coupe and hdtp grills
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Dave T-Bow reproduced them a few years back in brass, the he show chromes them.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

One item that would possibly sell is Hawk dash and glove box door facings. Runs the gamut from 56 to 61, and could be pre-scored on the back for those who want to insert a vacuum gauge, or clock.

47-49 Gravel guards and pretty much anything out there that is not available. Problem is, I think it is a Jim Turner statement, "well now I know where I can get them."

I should add that there are supposedly a few hundred 56J's out there and I had the Shrock Brothers make me 12 repro gear indicators. Took me 6 plus years to sell 10 of them. Most folks just stuck the PNDLR on their cars rather than pop $45 for an accurate one P N 'D' LR.

Comment

There are two reasons why I posed the original question and both have to do with the the fact that we are in a new era. Some of the old 'givens' have disappeared. High tooling costs and long production runs have been replaced by computer-based modeling and Rapid Prototyping/producton methods. (A CAD-CAM machining center can be had for $5,000, for instance) Also the internet has reduced and simplified marketing costs and the exchange of information.

It is now possible to reproduce small quantities of parts at far lower costs than ever before. The inherent low volume of parts in the Studebaker world looks like a promising fit.

The US economy is driven by the combined forces of co-operation and competition. Co-operation among club members would produce the knowledge base of parts that are in demand, enabling vendors and even members with unique talents and desire, to compete in answer to this combined need.
              I hope this adds to the understanding of the situation and encourages more inputs like Bondo-Billy's (All responses were appreciated.)

Rod Barclay

Comment

9" drums!

Comment

Rubber vent window gaskets for '64 Hardtop, and rear window rubber for '52 hardtops.[xx(]

Comment

How silly a reproduction request? [)]

'49 temp and oil gauges(Apparently NOS are next to impossible to find)
                    '64 Lark type gas tanks, not the station wagon type with inlet off to the side(Got the last NOS one from Kapteyn's this summer)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

new 63 Avanti steering wheels seem to be non existant. make mine in fawn please.

Comment

How many of those temp and oil gauges would you like? I have several available.

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

How silly a reproduction request? [)]

'49 temp and oil gauges(Apparently NOS are next to impossible to find)
                        '64 Lark type gas tanks, not the station wagon type with inlet off to the side(Got the last NOS one from Kapteyn's this summer)
                        Frank van Doorn
                        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                        1963 Daytona Conv
                        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Well, I should clarify a little on the oil and temp gauges, I guess its a little broad....
                          The '49 '50 etc square 2R5 pickup mercuric(I think thats the word)dash gauges that fit in that rectangular area in the dashboard. From what I was told functioning NOS gauges are almost nonexistant, and of course mine is stuck and starts reading from 1/4 all the time ......
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

1956-1961 Hawk grilles, I've not seen a rechrome that I like,mine included.

The houndstooth trunk mats used in early C/K models, I bought one from SI, now Ed Reynolds would like to have it back for his project.

This could be one heck of a list .......lol

It is an addiction!
                            It is an addiction!

Comment

Phantom did have the repro mats for early C-K's, about $350 as I recall.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,439.30
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...