Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need power steering bracket for 259 (speedster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Need power steering bracket for 259 (speedster)

I need a power steering pump bracket (and pump) for my Speedster. Assume a bracket for a 259 or a 289 are interchangeable. At a minimum I need pictures including where they mount so I can fabricate one. With a bracket I'm sure I can find a pump that would work. Car was missing most of the Steering parts so I fitted an Astro PS box so now I need to power it.

I have the original Saginaw PS gear that some one might be looking for.

Merlin, can't help you with pictures, but look in the Parts Manuals to get an idea of what the brackets look like. The brackets for the later style ('62 thru '64) are much simpler than the earlier style.

You might also look at the brackets for street rod power steering pumps. It might be easier to get a pump that will work properly with the Astro box and a bracket for that style pump to fit a small block chevy from the street rod suppliers, and modify that to fit the Stude V8.
    Last edited by r1lark; 06-05-2016, 03:00 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I agree with Paul that adapting the later Eaton pump would be easier...and the factory Stude brackets to install it much easier to find.

That's assuming it will work with the Astro box?

The original Saginaw pump bracket is a fairly heavy piece of iron, that is held in place by two cylinder head bolts.

Comment

Looked at the various mounts in Summit but stumped on where to attach them.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
          Looked at the various mounts in Summit but stumped on where to attach them.
          Yeah, not much in common on the heads and timing covers/water manifolds between Chevy and Stude V8s. The Eaton pump should be enough for the Astro box and someone on here probably has a set of 259/289 mount brackets and mounting studs. Otherwise you'll have to make something using a GM pump, a swivel bolt and a way to lock it and adjust a belt. Something like this with some home made tubing spacers.

Comment

The Huge and very unusual Fitting size on the P/S Pumps used with the Saginaw P/S on '54 to '57 Studes. would be a serious problem to adapt to hoses to a Astro Van Steering Gear.

You would be better off using the Eaton Pump and Brackets used on 1958 to 1966 non-C or K, and '61 and on C & K's.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Probably should reword Thread topic-Looking for 58-64 V8 power steering pump and brackets and delete Speedster

Comment

I likely have these. Let me look in my stash. We are having tropical storm today - so will be tomorrow before I can check.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

64studevaanti --- above suggests a later 259/289 bracket/pump would best. I'm not worried about perfect stock.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                    Car was missing most of the Steering parts so I fitted an Astro PS box so now I need to power it.
                    Could you/would you post some images of the install of the Astro steering. Mounting, adapters to stock steering wheel, clearance issues etc.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I will look for later pump and bracket. I know I have several.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Finally got out to the shop. I did not find any spare brackets at this time - several pumps and rams, but no brackets. I will keep looking when the power gets back on and I can see better. If any one else has some, feel free to get them.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

anyone have a schematic for installing, especially brackets to mount with power steering for 60 Hawk?

Comment

Working...
                          X