Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scenicruiser - Stude Dave, you'd better hustle !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenicruiser - Stude Dave, you'd better hustle !

Last edited by hausdok; 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

The Scenicruiser...another Raymond Loewy Associates design.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Unfortunately, old motor coach's such as this one are worth little more than their scrap value.

Comment

My wife has been pretty understanding of my car hobby interests and parts collecting over the years, but if I brought something like that home it would likely become my permanent home.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thanks Mike!!! I'm savin' my pennys and savin' my dimes!!!

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          The Scenicruiser...another Raymond Loewy Associates design.
          To an extent, yes. He was involved to a degree.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Unfortunately, old motor coach's such as this one are worth little more than their scrap value.
          Many times (most actually) when it's a running/driving bus- it goes for way more...
          And in this case- as a blank slate- it might go for more still. Or not.
          Just like in the StudeWorld it goes as high as one is willing to pay.
          And if two folks show up with the cash, well...

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just for a "reality check" for those of us who have never owned, or even thought of, owing one of these "Beasts,"...how about someone letting us know what is required to merely have one ready to emerge from our driveway. For example, the price of a set of tires, property tax, insurance, registration fees, cost of a fill-up, and the price of a lube job, including filters, and oil change? What about the cost of a brake job?

I have a feeling that, some of us could afford to "buy" one, but the cost of "operating/maintaining" one is a whole 'nuther matter.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I have a feeling that, some of us could afford to "buy" one,
              but the cost of "operating/maintaining" one is a whole 'nuther matter.
              That last part is sorta why I don't already own one. Yet.

Somewhere I have a nice write up (by an owner) about this very topic.
              Unfortunately I can't seem to find it.
              So here are a few thoughts shooting from the hip~

Taxes, insurance and registration will vary. One of the biggest hang-ups folks have from state to state is registration. Some States don't like conversion busses. Nor do insurance companies. After what I had to go through with my StudeBus/RV-- I know all about that last one...
              Maintenance is just like your Studebaker- but on a much larger scale. Owners have told me it's sorta like owning a 40 foot long semi truck. That is 60 + years old. Thankfully not much is different from Studes- folks help with information when people ask. The knowledge base still out there is pretty amazing.
              As for the other stuff, well- the fuel tank holds 180 gallons. They average under 10 MPG. How far do you wanna go? The Detroit 8V71 holds gallons of oil- not quarts. I can't find the exact number right now, but I believe it's a low double digit number? And like Studes- they are known to leak. Alot. Tires are what you'd buy for a big rig, so expect to pay north of $150 each. Just remember there are ten of them.

Of the 1001 built- something like 200 of these coaches survive on some level.
              Ten or so even have full passenger interiors still in them.
              Greyhound has one of those in their collection. It's PD-4501-001.
              And PD-4501-350 'lives' just under ten miles from my home...

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Just for a "reality check" for those of us who have never owned, or even thought of, owing one of these "Beasts,"...how about someone letting us know what is required to merely have one ready to emerge from our driveway. For example, the price of a set of tires, property tax, insurance, registration fees, cost of a fill-up, and the price of a lube job, including filters, and oil change? What about the cost of a brake job?

I have a feeling that, some of us could afford to "buy" one, but the cost of "operating/maintaining" one is a whole 'nuther matter.
                I feel qualified to answer as I own a commercial Studebaker.

Cost of operating, is not 'out of this world' compared to the cost of a newer Ford F-150, for example. Tires will be a bit more, as there are six of them, versus four, and it hold a few quarts more oil. Cost is negligible as my Diesel is definitely NOT a daily driver. I regularly replace the two Group 24 batteries every five years regardless of miles in between. Last year when I replaced them, cost was $232 for the two, and not out of line. In comparison, I just replaced all 8 coils on my 2005 F150 at a cost of $520. My storage solution was to buy a property with a garage big enough to fit it, which I did 20 years ago. (Now paid in full, and mortgage free.). I just filled it up yesterday right after a local show & shine, and the fuel bill was $81.00 for 24 US gallons. (Total tank capacity is 40 gallons).

Craig

Comment

I believe it may have more than several dozen grease zerks.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X