PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Turn signal switch 56 j

DMB-8
06-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the turn signal switch on a standard and an automatic transmission.I have not found
one for an auto but can get it for a standard.Can not understand what the difference would be for an auto.Would like to try and use
the other one and make some adjustment to get it to work.If we can figure this out it would help others out with the same problem.
Thank You,Don Borger

StudeRich
06-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Isn't the difference in the Standard Steering vs the Saginaw "in the Gear" Power Steering?

DMB-8
06-07-2016, 07:41 AM
I am trying to find the difference in the TURN SIGNAL SWITCH between a standard and an auto transmission.I can not understand why the transmission would affect the turn signal switch and why I can't use a standard one that is available. Thank You,Don

rstrasser
06-07-2016, 09:42 AM
The standard steering box in a 55 C or K was a Ross. If the car had power steering it had a Saginaw steering box. The steering columns are not the same. I do not know what the differences in the directional switches were.
Ron

studegary
06-07-2016, 01:56 PM
The standard steering box in a 55 C or K was a Ross. If the car had power steering it had a Saginaw steering box. The steering columns are not the same. I do not know what the differences in the directional switches were.
Ron

In a couple of posts this has gone from the OP asking about 1956 Golden Hawk turn signal switch differences with AT vs. std. trans. to 1955 C/K models with and without power steering.

rstrasser
06-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Sorry Gary; I just looked at the picture and saw a 55 K series. The fact that he was asking about a 56 did not sink in. I don't know what a 56 had for manual or power steering bpxes. In any case the Saginaw and Ross boxes are way different.
Ron

DMB-8
06-07-2016, 04:16 PM
This is a 56 golden hawk with power steering but the wiring is mounted at the top and the wires go down the side of the column and come out the side of the column inside the car.I see no way that the auto trans makes a difference on how the turn signals work.I need some way to fix this as there is no availability of the one that is called for.I am going to try to make something work as I am finished with the restoration except for this.Thank You,Don

JoeHall
06-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Only difference I can think of may be if an extra wire is included in the automatic's turn signal harness, for the gear selector indicator light. The switch would still be the same, just an extra wire in the harness. In that case, its easy enough to wrap that extra wire alongside the manual transmission wiring harness, or even remove it from the old harness and snake it alongside.

SN-60
06-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Only difference I can think of may be if an extra wire is included in the automatic's turn signal harness, for the gear selector indicator light. The switch would still be the same, just an extra wire in the harness. In that case, its easy enough to wrap that extra wire alongside the manual transmission wiring harness, or even remove it from the old harness and snake it alongside.

Good thought Joe!