Engine colors on my 1950 2R5 survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Engine colors on my 1950 2R5 survivor

First off - I very much like the patina that my truck has everywhere including the engine....but I just want to get my facts straight about what is factory correct in the engine bay.

So....I would very much appreciate any thoughts/knowledge about the attached pics....I thought a 1950 2R5-12 was basically all green (and black as appropriate)

On mine :
    • The timing gear cover and engine seem to be the turquoise
    • The oil filter housing, water pump and thermostat housing are blue with no sign of green underneath (and sadly, NOT the same blue that I just ordered from Stude Intl so that I could paint a new water pump that I am trying to install soon)....hmmm

• The oil breather pipe/cap and fan/hub are green with blue showing through where worn
    • And then everything black seems correct

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1751071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2347.JPG
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1751072

btw, engine number II33096, Head number 529278 3 D N, Paint P2204, Trim T6036, 1950 2R5-12 Model 2RC2

Thanks!

The bell telephone/army green is correct for 34-54 Studebaker.

The blue could be 55 Studebaker blue, or it could be the Ford blue that almost every rebuilder paints any 6 cylinder (and they also seem to paint every V-8 Chevy orange).

The turquoise is Studebaker 56-57.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-02-2016, 01:15 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I suggest referring to Fred Fox's Feature Article in TW on these vehicles to gain more color information (and a lot more).

The green was 30 weight oil (of the period) green. I use Packard engine green.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As Roy said, Bell Telephone green is correct for everything, except for things purchased from outside suppliers (generator, starter, coil, oil filler cap, spark plug wire loom) which were semi-gloss black. The oil filter housing could be either black (if factory installed) or Allis-Chalmers orange (if dealer installed). I've seen both green and black fans -- don't know which is correct. I believe the June 85 TW has the Fred Fox article on the 2R trucks.

If your engine is turquoise, I would suspect it was transplanted from a later truck.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The Olive Green Fan was the correct Color when new of the entire Engine, Clutch Housing and Transmission Assy., any major parts that are not, are wrong year parts for the Truck or repainted.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-03-2016, 01:56 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't disagree that the original 2R fans were undoubtedly painted green from the factory. But replacements were painted black, probably because that's what the supplier painted them. I pulled one for my 3R from a bin at Avanti Parts in the late 70s and all of them were black. In his recent article on the 3R trucks, Fred Fox states that some fans were painted black.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

StudeRich - thanks for the expertise and the advice on the SDC forum - wanted to send you a note cuz i painted my new water pump housing with rollie williams 800254 green engine high heat acrylic enamel (JA2616) and it is a much darker green that i was expecting. Did I get the paint right ??

Comment

pic of rollie williams 800254 green engine high heat paint

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1707117
                pic of rollie williams 800254 green engine high heat paint - seems too dark. ??

Comment

It is a bit hard to tell with all that sunlight reflecting off of it, but it appears just Dark Green, not the Olive Green it should be.
                  800254 is Studebaker International's Paint, is that where you bought it? Their's is usually as good as it gets.
                  Was it thoroughly Mixed, and stirred and no colors under it that could bleed through?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rcke View Post
                    pic of rollie williams 800254 green engine high heat paint - seems too dark. ??
                    Not so much "too dark", but rather the incorrect green.
                    I find that paint sold as correct for Packard engines by vendors is correct.
                    I do not know if you are old enough to remember, but the green should look like 1930s-1940s 30 wt. motor oil.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      The bell telephone/army green is correct for 34-54 Studebaker. The turquoise is Studebaker 56-57.
                      I wonder how old you have to be to understand what Bell Telephone green is? I know what is looks like, but Ma Bell has been gone a long time.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                        I wonder how old you have to be to understand what Bell Telephone green is? I know what is looks like, but Ma Bell has been gone a long time.
                        Not quite as old as remembering the green 30 wt. motor oil.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yup - I'm 56 but I have looked at 2000 or more photo's trying to study up on the correct colors and engine stuff - and the color of my fan blade (although faded) is what i THOUGHT i could get (and yes, I got ithe 800254 from Studebakers International). And btw, that part was primed with VHT light grey primer (3 thin coats).

I saw all of the Bell Telephone green pics and mentions on the forum and elsewhere - all of the Packard green comments - all of the "almost the right green - but not quite" comments from those blessed with the experience and knowledge.

Can't believe after all of this research that I ended up spraying a green that I really wasn't going for because in my opinion the lighter green that I wanted is really awesome.

If somebody can hint as to where the right color can be purchased both in rattle and quart - i would love to know

Comment

I have gotten my Packard engine green from Kanter in New Jersey (IIRC).
                            Last edited by studegary; 06-09-2016, 10:08 AM. Reason: missing )
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X