No announcement yet.

anyone used RockAuto's rebuild service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: anyone used RockAuto's rebuild service?

Rock Auto says they will rebuild my 50 champion steering gear box for $284.000. Everyone else I have contacted quote at least $650.00 or more. Does anyone have experience with this service?

Studebaker Int. has bushings and say they have to be modified, anyone know what the modification is. I would attempt a rebuild but I have no way to bore the bushings if that is what is needed.

Also I have a 1951 and a 1950 frame in the back field. both have been cleaned fairly good and painted. One with POR 15 and the other with chassis saver. If someone want's to haul them away let me know, I live around 30 miles south of Dallas TX.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

The SI bushings are a tad too long, so they have to be shortened, and also there is no oil hole which needs to be drilled to line up with the oil hole in the box.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Rockauto should list who their rebuilder is. Most are done by Lare's in MN>

Comment

That I can do. Just can't bore it.

Rock Auto does list some of the rebuilders that quoted me over $650.00. Sounds like they get a big discount.
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

You just bill it though rock auto and they tell you where to send it. I found that out the hard way. I dropped my power steering ram off at Lare's as they are only 17 miles away and when I picked it up it cost me $100 more than if I had let rockauto bill my credit card and then I could have still dropped it at Lares and picked it up only would have had another $100 in my pocket.

Comment

That's one of the places Rock Auto listed. Only thing I don't know is shipping. I suspect it will be pretty high as the shaft is about 4 ft long. Still I would rather not do it myself. I am about to swap engines and plan to rebuild the front end while it is out, lot easier to work on that way.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

I just had my 47 m5 steering box done by Rock Auto which is rebuilt by Lare's in MN. It cost me $21.00 to ship it from northern In. and I had it back in 12 days. I sent it all in pieces too. Looks brand new and they removed a broken off frame mounting bolt that was rusted in casing, no extra charge. It was worth the $282 I paid Rock Auto. PapaJoe

Comment

Working...
              X