The engine locked up in my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: The engine locked up in my car

The weirdest thing happened tonight while working on my 59 Hawk. I had the car running, set the timing and shut the engine down. Later I went to start the car and now the engine is locked up? Weird thing is, this is the second engine to do this in the car. The last engine locked up while in the car, but after removed, it was no longer stuck.

After I discovered the starter wasnt turning the engine, I tried to turn it by hand by pulling the fan blade while putting tension on the belt. It wouldnt budge. I then removed all the spark plugs and tried again. Still wouldnt budge. I then put the car in 1st gear and went to rock it to see if the motor would turn, but the car rolled forward just fine even while in gear?? Its a 3 speed O/D trans... is it supposed to do that? I dont think its in overdrive.

Could there be a possibility that maybe the transmission or something like that could be causing the engine to seem stuck? Like I said before, the last time this happened the engine unstuck itself after removing it from the car..

Any thoughts?

When strange things happen on my cars just after I've been working on them, I always start the search by the last parts I have touched. The culprit is usually there. As you worked on the ignition, I think I would remove the distributor (by the way, was it the same on the first engine?) to see what happens.
    Best of luck with your search and nice day to all.
    sigpic

Comment

You may be having an OD issue , j'd pull trans and start there. look hard at overunning clutch. Luck Doofus

Comment

If you used the same starter on both engines, I suspect the Bendix is worn and locking into the flywheel. Put in reverse and rock back and forward. This generally will make it free up.

Comment

yup, I'd suspect the starter....
          to rule out the tranny, get a helper to hold in the clutch.... Then try to turn the fan.
          Just for giggles, if that don't work, temporarily remove the fan and turn the auxiliary stuff and see if any of that sticks.... fan, generator, etc.
          Keep lookin Sherlock.

Comment

sometimes a starter drive will lock with a mal-aligned (not dialed-in) engine/bell.....

Comment

Yep, my starter did that, when the flywheel was missing a tooth. With an automatic, I could not even rock it back and forth.

Comment

Had a Renault R-16 that the starter bendix used to lock up when parked. Had to put the car in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth to get the starter to disengage. Was told it was a worn ignition switch on the dash that cause the starter to engage and lockup without the ignition being on.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

The distributor is the one that came with the new engine. I never pulled it out, just turned it. The starter however came off the old engine. I can hear it click in when I turn the key to start the engine. I makes a loud click sound. I did try rocking the car back and fourth in reverse, but it didnt help. The only things I have done to the engine besides an oil change was a four barrel upgrade (1403 Edelbrock). Also, the heads are not original to the engine. I pulled the valve covers and taped on the valves with a rubber mallet and they all moved so I dont think the issue is the top end.

Also, in first gear the car rolls freely forward, but doesnt roll backwards. I did drive the car before all this happened and it seemed to shift smoothly.

Hopefully Ill have time today to pull the fan belt and turn all the accessories and see if anything locked up. Ill try removing the starter also.

Comment

It sounds like you were rocking the car with the overdrive lever pushed in. You need to pull the overdrive handle out to lock it out of overdrive, then shift to high gear for the best leverage.

Comment

Do you have the correct bolt for the starter ?
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                        Do you have the correct bolt for the starter ?
                        I believe so, they r the bolts that came off the old engine.

Comment

The diameter of the shoulder is important.
                          This website is for sale! raylinrestoration.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, raylinrestoration.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The correct starter is required.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                            Had a Renault R-16 that the starter bendix used to lock up when parked. Had to put the car in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth to get the starter to disengage. Was told it was a worn ignition switch on the dash that cause the starter to engage and lockup without the ignition being on.
                            Renault sold only a few thousands R16 in the States. I was about to say that you were a lucky guy then but this might not have been the case in Vermont with a car that was prone to rust. Also, Dwain Grindinger told me once that US mechanics found it was a difficult car to work on.
                            sigpic

Comment

I sure liked mine. Presumably so did Stirling Moss.
                              Yes, there were sure some maintenance quirks, and quirks in general.
                              Yes, rust got it.

Only Stirling Moss Studebaker connections seem to be owning a Facel Vega, and a Texas dealer named Stirling Moss
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Dan Timberlake; 06-01-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X