weight of 1935 flat head Dictator 6 with tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight of 1935 flat head Dictator 6 with tranny

I am about to pull the engine with tranny out of the 1935 dictator to get machine work completed and would like to know how its weight compares to a 289 with manual tranny. It's a heavy duty motor lift but at 75 I'm no longer a heavy duty person and may just take car to machine shop if it's much heavier than 289 with tranny. Ken, Deltaville, Va

The combined engine and transmission should be about 700 lbs, based on having crated a 1930's Studebaker 6 last year. It should be about the same as a 289 and manual transmission, maybe a little lighter.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
      The combined engine and transmission should be about 700 lbs, based on having crated a 1930's Studebaker 6 last year. It should be about the same as a 289 and manual transmission, maybe a little lighter.
      Thanks, Ken

Comment

Ken, I don't know what kind of facilities you have to work in, but when it comes to removing engines, I've learned that the safest way is to lift the engine and carefully move the vehicle back away from under the engine. My facilities consist of a pole barn with an earth floor. Some of the floor is paved with recycled four inch concrete blocks laid flat on the ground, covered with a rubber moisture barrier. Most of the leveling of my floor has been provided by years of earthworms toiling beneath the ground. The result is a somewhat uneven floor and rolling a loaded engine hoist around in my work-space is not an easy task.

My solution is to take advantage of the large diameter tires of the vehicle that has less rolling resistance than the tiny caster wheels of an engine hoist. Also, if you are concerned about the weight limit of your hoist, you probably know that moving the vehicle is much more safe than having a seven hundred pound pendulum swinging under the extended arm of an engine hoist.

If your shop will allow you to orient the car so that it can be backed from under the suspended engine/transmission assembly, that would be the safest way to remove it. Of course, that means removing much of the front clip of the car's "doghouse." On a fat fendered '35, I don't know how much is involved, but I only wish I had one to play with. Good luck with your project. Wish I was close enough to help.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
        X