Lube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Lube question

On an Avanti with p/s there is a rod and end that attach-es the bell crank to the p/s control valve.(1546218)
    The end of the rod has a Zerk fitting on it..........my question is, the following; if that fitting does not get lubed very often how serious a situation is it?....That bugger is almost impossible to get access to!:-(

Second question: On the drivers side lower "A" frame.....is a bushing and grease fitting. For the longest time I have not been able to get grease into that bushing...........two different grease guns....I removed the Zerk and replaced it.....same situation......the bushing will not accept grease. Any suggestions?.....and how much 'damage' will be done if the lower control arm pivot pin does not see grease? Now understand this is only on the front Zerk, the rear Zerk accepts grease.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    On an Avanti with p/s there is a rod and end that attach-es the bell crank to the p/s control valve.(1546218)
    The end of the rod has a Zerk fitting on it..........my question is, the following; if that fitting does not get lubed very often how serious a situation is it?....That bugger is almost impossible to get access to!:-(

Second question: On the drivers side lower "A" frame.....is a bushing and grease fitting. For the longest time I have not been able to get grease into that bushing...........two different grease guns....I removed the Zerk and replaced it.....same situation......the bushing will not accept grease. Any suggestions?.....and how much 'damage' will be done if the lower control arm pivot pin does not see grease? Now understand this is only on the front Zerk, the rear Zerk accepts grease.
    Not Studebaker specific....but I'd be concerned that a fitting would not accept grease. I'd heat it up a bit, maybe lightly apply a propane torch, wait a few minutes for it to heat soak, and try again. How hot? Call it hot enough to boil spit, but not hot enough to make smoke.

Comment

Yeah, it's a %$#! to get to, but since the ball end is part of the reach rod and not "replaceable" by itself, I just curse it-cheap insurance. I'm sure you won't mind swinging the steering wheel back and forth trying to go straight-right? Don't know what to tell you about the outer pin lubing problem. Might try jacking the wheel slightly up and down as you try squeezing some in-the old stuff is probably solidified. As mentioned above some "warming" of the area with a torch (keep an extinguisher handy-grease burns) may soften it up enough to shove the hardens stuff out. I'll let others who had to rebuild these suspensions, fill you in on "lack of grease" damage.

Comment

Plan "C" loosen bushing 1/2 turn then grease and retorque. Luck Doofus

Comment

Fred I am quite sure no major damage will result from not getting grease into those two fittings......the car is never driven in the winter, and only 500 miles during the summer months. Those two fitting did get grease, maybe several years and 1k miles ago.
          Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
          Yeah, it's a %$#! to get to, but since the ball end is part of the reach rod and not "replaceable" by itself, I just curse it-cheap insurance. I'm sure you won't mind swinging the steering wheel back and forth trying to go straight-right? Don't know what to tell you about the outer pin lubing problem. Might try jacking the wheel slightly up and down as you try squeezing some in-the old stuff is probably solidified. As mentioned above some "warming" of the area with a torch (keep an extinguisher handy-grease burns) may soften it up enough to shove the hardens stuff out. I'll let others who had to rebuild these suspensions, fill you in on "lack of grease" damage.

Comment

About ten years years ago I placed a ball joint stand under the "A" frame and and removed that bushing and washed it out in parts
            cleaner........
            Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Plan "C" loosen bushing 1/2 turn then grease and retorque. Luck Doofus

Comment

Fred I am quite sure no major damage will result from not getting grease into those two fittings......the car is never driven in the winter, and only 500 miles during the summer months. Those two fitting did get grease, maybe several years and 1k miles ago.
              You asked- I answered.

Comment

I could see long term grease deprevation........resulting in damage...but I appreciate your input.
                Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                You asked- I answered.

Comment

About ten years years ago I placed a ball joint stand under the "A" frame and and removed that bushing and washed it out in parts cleaner........
                  If you can find a "Ball Joint Stand" on a Studebaker all the more power to ya!

No Ball Joints, no Ball Joint Stands, unless you have a Mustang II Front clip.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think he means the Knuckle Support. Doofus

Comment

Rich no insult intended my Stude friend..........but why do you 'assume' I have a Mustang front end?? All I said was I placed a ball joint stand under my "A" frame......because I removed that bushing from the frame to wash it in parts solvent and did not want to risk any BS with its removal....it's use was merely as a support under the "A" frame. Maybe I utilized the incorrect term...the stand that I utilized had a large base and screwed into that was a corkscrew shaft that one screwed out of the housing to contact whatever one wants to support....maybe they call it some kind of stationary stand?
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      If you can find a "Ball Joint Stand" on a Studebaker all the more power to ya!

No Ball Joints, no Ball Joint Stands, unless you have a Mustang II Front clip.

Comment

Call it a "Jack Stand " and everybody will recognize the term. Doofus

Comment

Thanks for the 'elucidation" sir...........duly noted;-)
                          Originally posted by doofus View Post
                          Call it a "Jack Stand " and everybody will recognize the term. Doofus

Comment

I've only known jack stands to have holes and pins, or a cast iron ratchet post for adjustment height.
                            The only cast iron screw jacks I can think of are for house posts and heavy lifting.
                            There are light aluminum 4 legged jacks with a screw post, but they are for leveling a small travel trailer, and not meant to be worked under.

I was also wondering when you mentioned a ball joint, but now I understand.

Comment

They also utilize these stands to support the "A" frame when removing the front springs.They stand about six feet tall.
                              Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              I've only known jack stands to have holes and pins, or a cast iron ratchet post for adjustment height.
                              The only cast iron screw jacks I can think of are for house posts and heavy lifting.
                              There are light aluminum 4 legged jacks with a screw post, but they are for leveling a small travel trailer, and not meant to be worked under.

I was also wondering when you mentioned a ball joint, but now I understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X