That Transmission Feel Good Feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Transmission Feel Good Feeling

I am just putting this out there because I have been thinking about it the past few days.
    I got my automatic transmission in the '55 President completely rebuilt recently. It's the DG250M. Even the torque converter was disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt with a new clutch pad. The valve block was replaced as well as all 3 bands. The shop did a stellar job on it and it drives like a new car again.
    I have driven the car to work the past few days and been thoroughly enjoying the way the transmission shifts, with that smooth but firm feeling that I remember from my first Studebaker so many years ago.
    I recognize that technology changes and there are some very good reasons why this transmission was eventually replaced by newer (better?) ones, but it's hard to describe the joy one gets from operating a properly functioning piece of nearly antique machinery. The folks who designed and built the DG250M were extremely smart and built a great transmission and I am glad I am still enjoying their handiwork all these years later.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I'll second that! There is really something to be said for being able to drive and appreciate a car with the automatic that Studebaker, and their owners considered the very best. This from technology that is almost 70 years old! I own three 55's with them and wouldn't change for an AOD even if it was given to me.-Bill

Comment

Cool. I have 2 spare DG250s and I'm running a DG200 for Pure Stock. They can scoot.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I am not sure you fellows with the Detroit Gear Transmissions want to try what I heard some Salesmen used to do on a test drive in a Stude. with the Studebaker Automatic Drive.

First they would demonstrate how you could pull up to a stop sign, level or on a Hill, and release the Brake and the Car would just sit there with the Anti-creep system holding the Brake for you.

Then their next trick was much better, they would drive down the road up to about 30-35 and throw it into REVERSE! Demonstrating how the engineers had made it idiot proof, so it would not shift into gear!

A truly well designed and strong Transmission that Ford tried really hard to get the rights to buy it for the '49 Lincoln, but I am sure they were NOT happy with their only other choice, having to go to GM with their tail between their legs and beg to get the GM Hydramatic 4 Speed Trans.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Seems like it might have been a good deal for Studebaker to license the transmission to Ford. They would have made some money and the word would have gotten around that Lincolns had a Stude transmission.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

StudeRich

Since my father was a Studebaker dealer, and I was very much immersed in the brand, I decided to try out the put it in reverse over 35 mph trick. My butt puckered up and I shoved it into reverse. What a relief when all the car did was free wheel. I did not wait to see what would have happened when it went below 35 mph, but I believe it would have gone into reverse with possibly dramatic results.

Batman

Comment

About 6 weeks ago we got my '54 Commander coupe started after being dormant for 40+ years - we had no idea how the DG tranny would perform. The oil looked good and smelled OK so we thought we'd just see if it would turn the wheels while up on jacks. It went through all the gears as it should so we tried it around the complex then out on a side road - changed up and down seamlessly.

Matt
              Brisbane
              Australia
              sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

DANG ! ! ! What a great testimonial. I'm about to start running my 56 Wagon on its original automatic. I can only hope for similar results. And if it needs to be rebuilt, in Sacramento, where oh where do I go ? ? ?
                sals54

Comment

Very nice solid Calif. '54 Commander.

They sure do have some Strange looking Trucks over there! I don't think you would call those Utes.

There are these funny looking Trucks all over the place that look like Flatbeds with some kind of camper shell (Canopy) strapped on top.

I wonder what use that could possibly be? Right at 1:53

StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first automatic transmission I rebuilt was a medium case Borg Warner out of my 1959 Silver Hawk with 259. It worked so good my dad asked me to rebuild his too. I ended up rebuilding several for the LA Chapter Stude club members. Oh I forgot to mention that I rebuilt the first one when I was 14. I later at age 16 started building 727 Torqueflights for drag racing cars all the way up to funny cars. To this day I would rather rebuild an automatic than a stick. Doing another Turbo 350 later this month for a T Bucket drag car. But still those were the good old days. To be a kid and just taking things apart to see how they worked and if I could find a way to improve them. Come to think of it I still do that but just not as often.

Comment

Working...
                    X