X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old Packard powered race car

twin engined to boot
    Attached Files

Tommy Ivo would be jealous. Wonder how long the tires last with all that torque
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Looks like V-12s or bigger to boot.

Comment

Don't look now but there's a third engine up front! They are Liberty L-12 aircraft engines; 12 cylinders, 27 liters, 450 HP. Over 20,000 engines were made, from 1917 to 1919, by Packard, Lincoln, Ford, Cadillac, and Buick.
        This is the White Triplex land speed record car! I didn't recognize it at first as the picture I remembered showed an extra set of rear wheels to provide a reverse gear required by rules. It did 207.55 MPH in 1928; and held the land speed record for almost a year.
        In a tragic run at Daytona Beach, in 1929, the car crashed; killing the driver and a photographer.
        Mike
        Last edited by Mike; 05-25-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Driven by....... 'A Very Brave Man'!!!!

Comment

Two Very Brave Men:
            Ray Keech drove the Triplex in 1928 to win the record. He also won the 1929 Indy 500, driving a Miller. He declined to drive the Triplex again in 1929, saying it wasn't safe, and was replaced by Lee Bible. The car crashed on it's second run, just after going through the timing traps at 202 MPH.
            Mike M.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Don't look now but there's a third engine up front! They are Liberty L-12 aircraft engines; 12 cylinders, 27 liters, 450 HP. Over 20,000 engines were made, from 1917 to 1919, by Packard, Lincoln, Ford, Cadillac, and Buick.
              This is the White Triplex land speed record car! I didn't recognize it at first as the picture I remembered showed an extra set of rear wheels to provide a reverse gear required by rules. It did 207.55 MPH in 1928; and held the land speed record for almost a year.
              In a tragic run at Daytona Beach, in 1929, the car crashed; killing the driver and a photographer.
              Mike
              ....Thanks for the history lesson Mike....It boggles my mind that serious "Hot Rodders" prevailed during the Depression..............

Comment

I remember reading about Art Arfons land speed records in the Green Monster, and it said that the tires have often been the speed-limiting factor.

Comment

Holy Cow! Whatta monster.....

Comment

OMG!......

Comment

Another couple pics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                        I remember reading about Art Arfons land speed records in the Green Monster, and it said that the tires have often been the speed-limiting factor.
                        The 'Green Monster' LSR car Arfons was running around 1965 utilized a '55-'56 Packard steering system!

Comment

Working...
                        X