Window installed, almost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window installed, almost

Been piecing together my fathers 49 C cab, which we parked in the trees several administrations ago. Got the side windows in. The window cranks are still smooth, without any lube for decades. Tonight I almost got the back window in the cab. Broke my twine, and went to old boot laces. After several attempts have it on the lip on the bottom and most of the sides. Tomorrow night hope to get the rubber all the way in. Been nice to have a second set of hands here. Yes, am using lube on the rubber. The gasket and glass from Studebaker Glass and Rubber has been a very nice fit. Be nice to get the cab sealed up again. Looks like the only thing that took a hike in all this time was the horn button, and just got one on the bay. Would post a pic but have trouble using photo sites

Originally posted by nebraska stude View Post
    Would post a pic but have trouble using photo sites
    Post 'em from your PC. We love progress photos!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1705655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6533 (800x394).jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1705654Before I unloaded it, in this yard for the first time since 1970. Believe that grille guard is a genuine Studebaker accessory.
      Last edited by nebraska stude; 05-24-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

49's seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. My friend Kelly sold his to a guy that has a repair shop in Lake Elsinore. I went by there yesterday thinking Keith hadn't done anything to it & if he wanted to sell it. turns out Keith di a whole bunch to it! I think he said he built a 454 along with a 700R trans, rack & pinion steering & is asking $10,000 for it now. He was getting ready to close the shop so I didn't have time to look at it but if it's still there next week I might go over just for curiosity's sake.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Make sure you have the gasket turned with the right side out. I saw a Studebaker truck a while back with the rear window gasket in backwards.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska stude View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]54507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54506[/ATTACH]Before I unloaded it, in this yard for the first time since 1970. Believe that grille guard is a genuine Studebaker accessory.

Ya got a few dings to knock out but that's a nice one!
            Really like the look of it.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              49's seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. My friend Kelly sold his to a guy that has a repair shop in Lake Elsinore. I went by there yesterday thinking Keith hadn't done anything to it & if he wanted to sell it. turns out Keith di a whole bunch to it! I think he said he built a 454 along with a 700R trans, rack & pinion steering & is asking $10,000 for it now. He was getting ready to close the shop so I didn't have time to look at it but if it's still there next week I might go over just for curiosity's sake.
              Glad someone is taking care of it. Kelly came by my house once and let me drive it.
              It was pretty peppy with the original engine!

Dean.

Comment

I have never seen a Fulton on a 2R before???.....Looks to blend and fit pretty well. I think many visors look awkward on a lot of vehicles. but always thought this style Fulton was one of the best made. But have never seen one on a 2R.....I like it. I have a 2R and also a Fulton and never thought about putting them together. Well now I just might ...Thanks
                "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

Comment

A little history on this truck. My dad worked in Chicago in a defense plant in WWII, when things shut own after the war, he moved to the farm in Nebraska. On a visit back to Illinois in 49, he ran into a good friend and former co-worker, that had just bought this truck. He decided he just didn't need a pickup in the city, and sold it to my dad. It saw hard daily use hauling hogs, feed, and pulling wagons until about 1969. Had two in chassis overhauls, and some other work I can't quite remember. So the truck got here in 49, and I came along in 51, so has been in the family for 67 years. Engine stuck, and I know the brakes are out. Going to get it running, or replace the engine with another six. The grille guard, and Fulton have always been on it. I have a photo of it from back when, showing it with fold up side sun visors. Cloth, and bright red. They look rough now that I pulled them out of the barn. Yeah, red visors sticking out six or seven inches on a blue truck, wow.

Comment

Post the photo with the side visors. Not familiar with them. (Stude had smaller metal ones later on their trucks.)
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Name:	IMG_6897.JPG
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1705693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6895.JPG
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1705694Here is a pic of the side visor/sun shade as I found them back in the barn, They would fold up for travel, the hardware is all aluminum and SS, one can see remnants of the red cloth. The clips attached to the door with set screws. Am looking for the one pic of them from the 50s, with these you could leave the windows halfway down in a shower. Have not seen a name on them as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Post the photo with the side visors. Not familiar with them. (Stude had smaller metal ones later on their trucks.)
                        I know that they were available for mid 1950's sedans. I have a full set for the '55 Prez State but yet to have installed them.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen that type of window visor. That would get a lot of attention at a car show.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Maybe not successful, but neat! Being made of stainless steel and aluminum and fabric makes them very "refurbish-able"!
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Comment

And now, while searching for something else, I find a NOS set on eBay:

These are actually adjustable for length.

Name:	Sun visor door adjustable 1.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1705939 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun visor door adjustable 3.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1705940 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun visor door adjustable 2.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1705941

Kool!
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Comment

Working...
                              X