The Cuban Stude Report, With Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cuban Stude Report, With Pics

I just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in Cuba. It was an amazing trip, and of course for lovers of old cars, it's non-stop entertainment. I saw a handful of Studebakers, perhaps not too far off from the ratio you'd see in 1959 of Studes to other makes. Most were Larks, with the pick of the litter being this one:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1750999Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5996.jpg
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1751000Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5997.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1751001Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5998.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1751002
    Despite the “American Muscle” graphics and “NOX” badge on the rear, I’m pretty sure there's nothing souped up in there, though I could be wrong. But the majority of the old American cars are running replacement small European engines, most frequently seeming to be either Russian Lada/Moskvitch plants, or Peugeot diesels. This Lark has a hand-painted Peugeot badge on the fender, indicating what’s under the hood:

Name:	DSCF6231.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1751003
    Car owners are VERY proud of everything about their cars there, even the replacement engines. But if it still has its original plant, the owner will definitely brag to you about that. One cab driver (nearly all the American cars are taxis, whether legally or not) used the fact of his ratted out ’55 Dodge having its original engine as a selling point to try and charge us more!

As a side note, while we were there, the first Hollywood production since the revolution was being filmed and it was…Fast And Furious 8! They closed down stretches of the Malecón - Havana’s most famous boulevard - to film some days. I saw they had a bunch of fake Cuban cars on the set. And you could tell they were fake because once we heard them all leaving for the day, and every one sounded like a Chev 350 - not a sound usually heard in those parts!

I saw maybe a half dozen late 40’s/early 50’s Studes, including this nice, and mildly modified Land Cruiser, I believe?

Name:	DSCF6115.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1751004
    There was another similar era Studebaker in a small town we were staying in for a few days, and it was easily the most rattle-trapped car in the whole place - you could always hear it coming from a block away, all over town in its endless taxi duties! That being said, we rode in a ’53 Dodge there that literally had parts falling off as we bounced down a country road…clunk.

I only spotted two C/K bodies, and both were '56 Hawks of the non-Golden variety. One looked pretty nicely restored, but the other one, oh man, they did a STELLAR job modifying it - and you usually won't hear me say such a thing. I really dig stock-looking cars, but I was really impressed with this one (though the interior was kind of an abomination...).

Name:	DSCF6128.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1751005Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6129.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1751006Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6130.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1751007

Never got a chance to ride in Cuban Stude, unfortunately, but plenty of interesting rides in other old American boats. Maybe next time - and I'm really hoping there is a next time!

Dave
    Last edited by Stunt; 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM.

Y'know, looking closer, maybe that's a Ferrari badge painted on the second Lark?? Which is hiLARious if so!

Comment

It does look like a Ferrari badge.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Very interesting post, thanks for sharing!
        I suppose the modifications can be considered as 'evolution'. With the island nation being cut-off from United States trade, automobiles evolved in unforeseen ways.
        I noticed the retrofitted taillights on the white Lark and they nearly look like they were made for the car, though I suppose they came from a VW bus or perhaps a small pickup truck.
        If a Studebaker meet ever takes place in Cuba, I want to be there!
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Milaca, yeah, once the parts for the American cars dried up on the island, they had to just make do with whatever they could find for repair/replacement parts. And you can see the same thing happening to the Russian cars now. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the two countries basically severed all ties (sending Cuba into a deep economic depression they call the "special period"), so now 25 years later, the Lada and Moskvitch parts are similarly becoming scarce.
          And yes, a Cuban all-Studebaker meet would be a fascinating one!

Comment

So Peugeot has started using Ferrari badges? Or...?

Comment

Yeah as I mentioned, that was my initial screw-up, and it's hilarious that they painted a Ferrari badge on a diesel-powered Stude! (Heard and smelled it drive by, was definitely diesel...)

Comment

But where did they get the fugly wheels?

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
                Milaca, yeah, once the parts for the American cars dried up on the island, they had to just make do with whatever they could find for repair/replacement parts. And you can see the same thing happening to the Russian cars now. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the two countries basically severed all ties (sending Cuba into a deep economic depression they call the "special period"), so now 25 years later, the Lada and Moskvitch parts are similarly becoming scarce.
                And yes, a Cuban all-Studebaker meet would be a fascinating one!
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

So what car died and give the white Lark its taillights?
                  1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                  1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                  1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                  1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                  1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                  1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Plenty of work, imagination, & determination keeping these running.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
                      Yeah as I mentioned, that was my initial screw-up, and it's hilarious that they painted a Ferrari badge on a diesel-powered Stude! (Heard and smelled it drive by, was definitely diesel...)
                      Those Ferrari badges are readily available as stick ons....though it would not surprise if it were hand done.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I really didn't pay much attention to the badges, I did however notice the front bumper/spoiler that was added---
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the tail lights might be from a Wartburg, 2-stroke east-European cars.

Comment

I think the tail lights might be from a Wartburg, 2-stroke east-European cars.
                            Wow, 2-stroke, really? Just looked up Wartburgs, I think I did see a couple here and there. Also wouldn't be surprised if the falling apart '53 Dodge I mentioned we rode in had a Wartburg engine - the driver had to shift all the way into first for even the most moderate of hills!

Comment

The Wartburg cars are front-wheel drive too & I think 3-cylinders so to haul around a Dodge would be a bit of a burden to say the least & not to mention the gearbox-marriage.

Comment

Working...
                              X