Studebaker Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Book

Stopped by my local Ollie's Bargain Store today and found "Studebaker-The Complete History" by Patrick Foster. It is a hardcover Crestline Book copyrighted 2008 reprinted 2015 with a 55 2 door on the paper cover

They have a stack of them at $7.99

Is this a good price? Is the book informative and a good reference for those of us who are not that deep into Studebaker?

I like the book, and I like Patrick Foster - but there are many mistakes in the book. They start on the dust jacket. However - the best part of the book is the great photography. So less than eight bucks is worth it.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is a great price. Glad you grabbed a copy. You'll enjoy it. Lots of interesting facts.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

$7.99 is a steal! I bought it when it first came onto the market. I loved it then and I love it now. Pat Foster is a good writer. I enjoy his column each month in Hemmings Classic Car magazine.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Patrick is a regular at the York and Reedsville Swap Meets. Bring it with you and have him autograph it.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

that's a heck of a deal! I got mine when they first came out. The dust cover has a price of $40.00 plus whatever I was charged for an autographed copy too!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It's a nice book but I would have appreciated it much more if it had contained more info about cars. It seemed to me that it focused on the financial aspects of the company. It's interesting too, but not my favourite cup of tea.
              Last edited by christophe; 05-25-2016, 03:53 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

That is less than the cost of a decent magazine.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 59 explorer View Post
                  Stopped by my local Ollie's Bargain Store today and found "Studebaker-The Complete History" by Patrick Foster. It is a hardcover Crestline Book copyrighted 2008 reprinted 2015 with a 55 2 door on the paper cover

Is this a good price? Is the book informative and a good reference for those of us who are not that deep into Studebaker?
                  Mr. Foster is a nice guy.
                  That is a "good price".
                  I would not consider the book to be a "good reference".
                  IIRC, when the book first came out, I thumbed through it and noticed so many errors that I decided that it was not worth my $40.
                  I would buy it for $8, but be very cautious about using it as a reference or learning guide. The problem with a newby is that they do not know which parts are incorrect.

EDIT: There are other similar books that are much better for reference/learning, such as those by Fred K. Fox and Asa Hall, but I really doubt that you will find them at near that price. The last one that I sold, I sold for $30 (and that was reasonable).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Ollies in Winston Salem,NC also has a stack of them at 7.99
                    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Before Christmas Ollie's had them for $12 in Dover DE., so they must have a bunch of them! This is also a second printing. I have the original and got my brother one from Ollie's. The wording inside the jacket covers are different and there are some other very minor differences.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I picked one up at the local Ollie's today. I already have a copy but this will be a great gift for a buddy who's a car guy. He's a Mopar guy really...but every now and then I like to tweak him with something about real cars.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by 59 explorer View Post

Thanks for your post. I was in Hagerstown, MD this morning and checked Ollies. They still had a dozen or so and I bought one for the $7.99 price.
                          Some years ago I sat down in the social room at the Atlantic Zone Meet at Harrisonburg, VA. A friendly man struck up a conversation with me and I ended up talking to him for an hour. I had no idea he was Patrick Foster. I agree that he is a very nice man with a true interest in many makes of cars.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                            Before Christmas Ollie's had them for $12 in Dover DE., so they must have a bunch of them! This is also a second printing. I have the original and got my brother one from Ollie's. The wording inside the jacket covers are different and there are some other very minor differences.
                            Not sure if any of the errors within the first edition were pointed out to him or not; but if they were, I hope they got corrected in the reprint.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X