• Show
Clear All

• Other: Part number and or id - Solved! Cowl Drain

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1104.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1750976
    Can anybody identify the following part in the picture? It is a rubber part (blue) behind the red valve cover and under the black heater hose. This in my 61 Lark W model six cylinder. The part measures 5 inches long and about one inch up and down. It has two little prongs sticking up through the metal ridge. I am trying to replace this part.
    I talked to Studebaker International, and sent them the same picture. They could not figure out the name or use for this part. I could not find a part number.
    Can anybody out there help me out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    David G. Nittler

Color blind this early in the morn but position corresponds to the cowl drain adapter and hose. 2 pieces the adapter with spring clips to hold it in place and a tube with support strap about a foot long to direct water away from dist on V8 models.my '62 and g son,s63 both still have them thanks to much junk yard prowling. Luck Doofus

Comment

SI had these reproduced
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

You may have confused them by calling it Blue, it's White and it's just the Cowl Drain they do sell, on '61-'62 there is no hose just a drain hole to run right on the Distributor.

The only obvious Blue there is the Bosch Wiper Motor Label.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is blue because somebody did not mask the part when painting years ago.
          What would be the name and number of this part? Why would it be on a six cylinder?
          Thanks
          Last edited by drnittler; 05-24-2016, 02:10 AM.
          David G. Nittler

Comment

Studebaker International 1339709 Cowl Drain Kit...used on '61 - '62 Larks. Fresh reproduction. $95.00
            This might seem like a lot of money, but...the original part must have had a problem with the rubber chemistry, since every one I had ever seen was hard and crumbly. And I have owned a fair number of '61 - '62 Larks.
            I was delighted that these have been reproduced.

Comment

Thanks I'll give SI a call.
              David G. Nittler

Comment

I called SI about this part. Does anybody have a picture of this kit so I know what it is? Thanks
                David G. Nittler

Comment

Update Studebaker International has the entire cowl kit. I am not sure if the kit has the rubber part I actually need. I am going to try to just find the rubber part only, due to the price of the kit..We'll see.
                  David G. Nittler

Comment

David,there are 2 rubber parts, the drain box clipped to the cowl and the hose slipped onto this "adapter". Luck Doofus

Comment

Dunno about finding that part used but still serviceable. I gave up and paid the $95 for my '62 Lark.

That said, install it VERY carefully. The new cowl lip "clips" that came with my kit were larger than the originals and I used them cuz they were "new".
                      On installation (and in the same direction & orientation as the originals) the outboard pointing "prong" on the passenger side clip poked a hole right through the fairly thin rubber of the "collector"!
                      MANY curse words, and next time I'll either reuse the smaller original clips, or at least try to point those prongs in a safer direction.

Good luck.

Comment

The photo in post #1 shows the original drain design. Here is the replacement:

Name:	SL-1017.1.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1705659

Name:	SL-1017.2.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1705660
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I can't tell. but does this kit have the rubber part I mentioned in my original post? (See picture above)
                          Thanks.
                          David G. Nittler

Comment

firewall

Originally posted by drnittler View Post
                            It is blue because somebody did not mask the part when painting years ago.
                            What would be the name and number of this part? Why would it be on a six cylinder?
                            Thanks
                            The supplier that made the firewalls made them for multi purpose, I have a 54 with a six and the firewall is recessed for a V8 distributor. A V8 was never available in the Champion model. I have swapped the six for a 259 V8 and the distributor is readily and easily removable with this recess in the firewall. I have attached a four barrel assembly to the engine and the manifold I have does not have any means to attach the coil, some models did and models didn't. In my case the firewall was punched with a hole to mount the coil, as on some Commander models. David

Comment

There would certainly be no logical reason for Studebaker to design and build TWO Bodies/Firewalls for the Champion and Commander or Six and V Eight after 1950.

The Lark Six still needs a deflector to keep the water from pouring all over the Cyl. Head and shorting Spark Plugs and Champions can use a deeper firewall, so no need to change it.

MONEY was a Big deal at Studebaker having lost Millions each year at the Automotive Div. after 1951 except very few years like 1959.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X