Truck Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Engines

I have a 1959 Studebaker Deluxe (Transtar) 1/2t short box. Serial # 4E7112. I received information from either SDC or the Museum I can't remember that this truck came originally with a 259 V8. I just got the truck back from the mechanic who did a complete overhaul. The engine now in the truck though is not a 259 but a 289. Engine serial # 7EI06I. I don't know whether the "I" are letter "i's", the # 1 or roman numeral I. It appears this engine was original to a 1963 model commercial truck probably a 1 ton or larger. Can you tell me if my assumption's correct, and any other info on this engine?

I don't know if all the data are correct on this Tech Tips page of the SDC website ( http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp ), but it would indicate a 1963 289, as you said. And yes, the "I" is really a "1" in those engine stampings.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Interesting... to the best of my knowledge all '59 Deluxe series ([u]see I did not say Transtar!!</u>) trucks came with the 289 V8 motor (when V8 equipped). Only the Scotsman came with a 259 (when V8 equipped) in the 1959 model year. So, while you do not have a stock motor, it is the correct displacement for your truck. [8D]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Does the engine have a oil filter mounted on the passenger side of the block? If it doesnt have a oil filter or a block off plate on that side of the block it is a mid 62 or earlier block. Block off plates were used on some later engines when customers ordered optional partial flow filters or to install in earlier trucks/cars.

My 1963 8E28 has its original 289 engine 7E2964,(on truck engines 7E denotes a standard duty 289 V8). My trucks final assembly was in October of 1962. Given Studebakers truck production rate,
        its entirely possible that 7E1061 is from 1959 or maybe even earlier.
        The most obvious thing is the oil filter on the right side of the block, whether its there or not.

Mark, the standard V8 for the 4E7 Deluxe is a 259 cid engine(3E*****).
        Standard engines and the serial number range for them, are in the front of the trucks parts books.
        Only the prefixes and a explanation of what equipment constitutes an optional or heavy duty engine are explained there.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60
          Mark, the standard V8 for the 4E7 Deluxe is a 259 cid engine(3E*****).
          Standard engines and the serial number range for them, are in the front of the trucks parts books.
          Only the prefixes and a explanation of what equipment constitutes an optional or heavy duty engine are explained there.
          Charlie, Checked the '57 - 61 Truck Parts Catalog, and you are quite right... so I did some tracking to figure out why I had thought all '59's (except Scotsmans) came with the 289 V8 instead of the 259. Here is an excerpt from "Studebaker, The Postwar Years", by R. Langworth:

This is where I found (my apparently incorrect) assumption![:0] As you can see the beginning of the middle paragraph on the right column says "All V8 domestic models except the Scotsman 4E2 used the 289."[B)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>
          [img]
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

I must have missed that when I read the book!
            Maybe you can send in a correction to the publishers for the next printing.

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28

59 Lark
            etc

Comment

Well consider the source, that book would take a book to document the errors!!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe true... but I just checked the December '97 issue of TW that featured 4E Series Standard and Deluxe Trucks - in that article the statement is made that: "All Domestic non-fleet V8 models came standard with the 289, while Export and Scotsman models came with the 259." So, that would support the premise that the vast majority of Deluxe V8 equipped 4E trucks should have come from the factory with a 289 powerplant.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                [img]
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                X