Studbuster, Steadybreaker, Stoopidbaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studbuster, Steadybreaker, Stoopidbaker

Many years ago one of our SDC chapter's founding members-a lifelong Stdebaker driver-referred to his 57 Silver Hawk as his Studbuster at a club meeting. Within seconds anything that wasn't nailed down in that clubroom became a misguided missile as another lifelong Studebaker driver took violent exception to his use of the word. An old friend of mine likes to rib me and other Studebaker drivers by calling them Steadybreakers - he drives Packards. And I suppose it is coincidence, but virtually everyone I have heard use Stoopidbaker drives a Ch**y! Oh, the uninformed! What are your views? Should we take exception?

Terry
    27 Dictator Custom sedan
    54 Commander Starliner
    How about another Studebaker product, the EMF - Every Morning Fix'em?

Years ago when a friend of mine took his first Studebaker to DMV for a new registration, plates, etc. the young lady behind the desk got a smirky grin on her face when the DMV computer listed it as a 1961 Stud!

I, as I am sure all of us, have heard these names before, I just ignore them now, but down deep inside I do resent them. Maybe revenge will come some day![}]

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

Years ago when a friend of mine took his first Studebaker to DMV for a new registration, plates, etc. the young lady behind the desk got a smirky grin on her face when the DMV computer listed it as a 1961 Stud!

I, as I am sure all of us, have heard these names before, I just ignore them now, but down deep inside I do resent them. Maybe revenge will come some day![}]

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

In South Bend, we preferred calling them Polish Cadillacs or South Bend vibrators. ( Lot's of Pole's in South Bend, many worked at Studebaker, so don't take offense.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

In South Bend, we preferred calling them Polish Cadillacs or South Bend vibrators. ( Lot's of Pole's in South Bend, many worked at Studebaker, so don't take offense.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

When I was a teenager I lived in a farming area and my 48 champion was referred to as a RUTABAKER(rudabaga). But my friends didn't mind climbing in when I had the only ride around. When any puts a studebaker down, I just smile knowing I'm better educated than they are. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

When I was a teenager I lived in a farming area and my 48 champion was referred to as a RUTABAKER(rudabaga). But my friends didn't mind climbing in when I had the only ride around. When any puts a studebaker down, I just smile knowing I'm better educated than they are. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have also heard them referred to as "Indiana Road Oilers".
                And what about this one, "Studebaker is German for leaky engine"?
                Long as they don't call it a POS I'll be fine.

Chris Pile
                The Studebaker Special
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I have also heard them referred to as "Indiana Road Oilers".
                  And what about this one, "Studebaker is German for leaky engine"?
                  Long as they don't call it a POS I'll be fine.

Chris Pile
                  The Studebaker Special
                  Midway Chapter SDC
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

My wife just calls ours "Precious"... gotta love a woman like that.

Las Vegas, NV
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

My wife just calls ours "Precious"... gotta love a woman like that.

Las Vegas, NV
                      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Gotta love it Steve, that could have either a positive or negative meaning! LOL!

In 1966 when my cousin and I drove my '57 Parkview 2dr. Wagon from Los Angeles to South Bend to pick up all new chrome for my '54 Starliner we pulled off of the Interstate or Highway whatever it was then and into the nearest Standard Station in South Bend. While the attendant was waiting for it to fill, I opened the hood to check the oil and he could see the bright red freshly painted 259 4 barrel engine maybe he knew I was proud of it. Anyway he said: "ahh...a fools Cadillac huh?"
                        I didn't say a word, I was so shocked to think I had driven 3000 miles to get to Studebaker Indiana and that's what they thought of them! [V] I assume he was not a descendant of an employee or one himself though!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gotta love it Steve, that could have either a positive or negative meaning! LOL!

In 1966 when my cousin and I drove my '57 Parkview 2dr. Wagon from Los Angeles to South Bend to pick up all new chrome for my '54 Starliner we pulled off of the Interstate or Highway whatever it was then and into the nearest Standard Station in South Bend. While the attendant was waiting for it to fill, I opened the hood to check the oil and he could see the bright red freshly painted 259 4 barrel engine maybe he knew I was proud of it. Anyway he said: "ahh...a fools Cadillac huh?"
                          I didn't say a word, I was so shocked to think I had driven 3000 miles to get to Studebaker Indiana and that's what they thought of them! [V] I assume he was not a descendant of an employee or one himself though!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You must be a REDNECK if.........

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

You must be a REDNECK if.........

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment