Caution on this car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution on this car

I like this 61 Cruiser- looks decent as is, decent interior, and I like it in red! I was thinking about it as a beater, with an eye to eventually using the interior and drivetrain in a solid body in the future.

The problem with it is, the pictures show extensive bondo in the rear quarters[xx(] Someone bondoed the rear quarter seams over, including the area inside the trunk where you would access the bolts holding the rear quarters...

This looks like a quickie repair job that someone did just to get it going again. Whenever you put filler over rust, you will just trap moisture and hasten rust... it will look decent for a while, but will deteriorate pretty quickly and be worse than when you started! One picture shows the bondo already starting to fail... and Heaven knows what the rest of the car is actually like, and what the frame probably looks like...

I wrote this off as a car that's likely on the verge of coming apart; it may be better- or not. I'm saying be aware, and if I was serious I'd make the trip to see it in person. It's still worth considering; just don't want someone to buy it not realizing what's goin on.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Thanks, Bob I feel exactly the same!

I really like these first Long Wheelbase Lark Cruisers, and this one LOOKS great! But I could tell, this one is NOT a solid car ![V]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Bob I feel exactly the same!

I really like these first Long Wheelbase Lark Cruisers, and this one LOOKS great! But I could tell, this one is NOT a solid car ![V]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As bams50 said it would probably make a decent beater...one you wouldn't feel too awful about leaving outside. More fun than a $1,500 old Honda that's for sure, but not worth much more from what bams50 is saying. I've owned, and had a lot of fun with worse!

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

As bams50 said it would probably make a decent beater...one you wouldn't feel too awful about leaving outside. More fun than a $1,500 old Honda that's for sure, but not worth much more from what bams50 is saying. I've owned, and had a lot of fun with worse!

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Actually, I'm still toying with the idea of bidding on it!

I could grind off the bubbles and re-bondo, and spot in the paint as needed- probably once a year without winter use[B)] Probably would last a long time till it was structurally unable to continue......

I bet it would be capable of being a pretty good driver! For the last 2 years at Reedsville there's been a really rough black 4dr. Lark that obviously have been driven in- and has out-of-state plates!

This one would look like a show car next to that one...

Come on- someone bid and save me from bidding!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Actually, I'm still toying with the idea of bidding on it!

I could grind off the bubbles and re-bondo, and spot in the paint as needed- probably once a year without winter use[B)] Probably would last a long time till it was structurally unable to continue......

I bet it would be capable of being a pretty good driver! For the last 2 years at Reedsville there's been a really rough black 4dr. Lark that obviously have been driven in- and has out-of-state plates!

This one would look like a show car next to that one...

Come on- someone bid and save me from bidding!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't think you'll need to grind down the bondo, it looks like it'll fall out on it's own. The car appears to be a major rust bucket. "needs rear spring work" (possible translation, the spring mounts and rear frame are toast. I could be wrong, but a car that looks that rusty in pictures is likely to be a bondo buggy. Bams, buy it and let us know.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't think you'll need to grind down the bondo, it looks like it'll fall out on it's own. The car appears to be a major rust bucket. "needs rear spring work" (possible translation, the spring mounts and rear frame are toast. I could be wrong, but a car that looks that rusty in pictures is likely to be a bondo buggy. Bams, buy it and let us know.

JDP/Maryland
                  63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                  spent to date $54664,75
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,439.30
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

What kind of shape are the Tailight Lenses in? Maybe you could part it, a come out ahead.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

What kind of shape are the Tailight Lenses in? Maybe you could part it, a come out ahead.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Bams, buy it and let us know.
                        Nah- I'm looking at it as a donor car, and at $1300 it's already too much for a donor...

Good point about the taillights- I thought if I got it, the first thing I'd do is put on a pair of 59s and put those away, or sell them. Given the overall condition of the car, though, chances are at least one is cracked anyway.

I'm worried that someone's bidding on it thinking they're getting a much better car than it is... and I've seen cases where sellers honestly didn't know how bad a car really is underneath...

I guess I've done what I can to warn the folks here anyway. Heck, maybe I'm way off, and it's not nearly as bad as I think.

But probably not.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Bams, buy it and let us know.
                          Nah- I'm looking at it as a donor car, and at $1300 it's already too much for a donor...

Good point about the taillights- I thought if I got it, the first thing I'd do is put on a pair of 59s and put those away, or sell them. Given the overall condition of the car, though, chances are at least one is cracked anyway.

I'm worried that someone's bidding on it thinking they're getting a much better car than it is... and I've seen cases where sellers honestly didn't know how bad a car really is underneath...

I guess I've done what I can to warn the folks here anyway. Heck, maybe I'm way off, and it's not nearly as bad as I think.

But probably not.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Ok..........I'll bite, somebody's got to. What about that trunk lid? Or is that THE dumb question of the day (week?)?

wagone

Comment

Ok..........I'll bite, somebody's got to. What about that trunk lid? Or is that THE dumb question of the day (week?)?

wagone

Comment

Working...
                              X