Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting my vinyl padded dash turned out well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my vinyl padded dash turned out well.

A few weeks ago I asked for advice on cleaning mildew and dirt off my dash pad. The end result of that plan A did not go well. In the process of trying to clean the pad, I broke through the surface texture in a few spots and still not much cleaner.

Turning to plan B I researched painting/dying the dash pad. English Color here in Tulsa mixed up a quart of SEM Color Coat to match the mist greige metallic. I practiced on a free vinyl sample and it went well. I scrubbed the pad twice with SEM soap and a grey scotch pad. That was wiped off with a wet rag and dried with a heat gun. I then applied the SEM Vinyl prep and wiped that off with a damp rag and once again dried with a heat gun.

A SEM rep had stopped by English Color while they were in the process of trying to match the interior color. He recommended it be shot with a 1.2 tip and higher than normal pressure. I used the 1.2 tip and set the inlet side of the gun at 32psi. I adjusted the fluid to just a light mist and sprayed three light coats. I waited about 4-5 minutes between coats and I really like the finished project.

If I had it to do over I would have only gotten a pint. I used about ½ inch of the quart of Color Coat. I may use some of the left over to dye a couple of throw pillows for the back seat and possibly some floor mats to match the interior trim.

Charlie D.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6533.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1750927Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6536.JPG
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1750928Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6538.JPG
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1750929Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6542.JPG
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1750930Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6593.JPG
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1750931

Looks very nice Charlie. Great effort with perfect results.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I've used SEM's products on several dashes and been most pleased with the results.

Comment

Nice job Charlie. That came out great. I am not familiar with the product you used but will definitely put it on my list for future reference. And thanks for including the great shots of the product and results.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Looks like it turned out great. I like SEM too. Didn't know they mixed interior colors. I have always used PPG in the past. I will have to check them out next time I need some interior color.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X