Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 49 champ 3speed,r-10 BW

Hi I have a hard worn 49 champ I'm working on
    the previous owner has a coat hanger attached to the o.d. Solenoid ,the car seems like it has hindrance to forward motion ,
    the mechanic where it was stored most likely drove in reverse with OD engaged
    the car shifts through 1,2,3 ok ,there's no relay on the firewall ,but the kick down switch is there
    the car goes to the mechanic soon and when up on the lift seems like a great time for a trans /OD overhaul ,I'm a new member ,anyone knowledgable who could rebuild a trans with a Borg Warner in the Houston Tx area? I figured I'd send the clutch to Studebaker international for a core ,to get a rebuilt while its apart

Originally posted by Stevenlesser View Post
    Hi I have a hard worn 49 champ I'm working on
    the previous owner has a coat hanger attached to the o.d. Solenoid ,the car seems like it has hindrance to forward motion ,
    the mechanic where it was stored most likely drove in reverse with OD engaged
    the car shifts through 1,2,3 ok ,there's no relay on the firewall ,but the kick down switch is there
    the car goes to the mechanic soon and when up on the lift seems like a great time for a trans /OD overhaul ,I'm a new member ,anyone knowledgable who could rebuild a trans with a Borg Warner in the Houston Tx area? I figured I'd send the clutch to Studebaker international for a core ,to get a rebuilt while its apart
    Over drive will not turn backwards when in high range, there is a lockout in trans.It has a one way clutch.

Comment

Don't understand coat hanger on solenoid. governor controls engagement so look for a toggle switch P.O. added to engage OD. hanger probably tied to lock out lever on driver side rear of trans right behind solenoid. 2 sets of points inside can be cleaned and 2 coils can be checked for continuity, heavy pull-in coil and lighter hold-in coil all tied together. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
      X