Studebaker National Museum: We've Got it Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker National Museum: We've Got it Good

This item from today's Hemmings Daily Blog should remind us of how "good" we have it in our wonderful Studebaker National Museum in South Bend:

The admission prices quoted in that article are roughly 25% more than comparable, everyday admission prices to The Studebaker National Museum....and as seen at the end of that May 12 update, FCA has requested that Hemmings not disclose the 2016 opening/operating dates after all...and that's with "We, the People," having "saved" Chrysler by underwriting its gift -er, sale- to Fiat in 2009!

What's wrong with this picture? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

BP: Thanks for the info. I checked last fall and learned the museum was closed. I expect to be in the area again in a few days...too early to visit. When I lived in Buchanan I passed Virgil Exner's childhood home several times a day. Then I knew it as the "Exner's place" and didn't realize the relationship. The SNM is on my itinerary!
    Last edited by Bob Bryant; 05-13-2016, 06:46 AM. Reason: addition
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I read that article too and the first thing I wondered about was how they got $1.5 M in debt to begin with. They must have at least as many members/supporters as we have for our museum. Then I wondered how they thought they would solve their problem going forward by charging MORE for an entrance fee. This would just discouraged visitors. It would be interesting to follow how this plays out over the next year or two for them.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The thing that stood out to me the most in that museum was the radial tank engine on display. They took 5 Chrysler flat head engines & mounted them onto a penta star shaped base (using the oil pan rail of the block) to create a 30 cylinder radial engine. It was a monster.
        Mike S

Comment

Commander Eddie, if their building is like the few MOPAR vehicles we've had, they probably spent a bunch fixing leaks, squeaks, and miscellaneous Quality Un-Controlled problems, ha !

Comment

Took the family there on one of our last pre-recession vacations in 2007. It was the last stop on our tour of Michigan. Stayed at the Auburn Hills Knights Inn, in a room with a view of the Pentastar atop the CTC.

My first clue as to the future closing should have been being rudely cut off in line, with my two middle school age daughters at McDonald's, by German Daimler employees, which was the closest food joint to the CTC. The museum seemed like an island on a sea of insanity. We were greeted by friendly people who were interested as to why we were there and made us feel at home. I explained my ownership history and that I worked for a dealership right out of college. I did not leave with the feeling they would stay there forever.

Sad, because I thought the museum was one of the finest exhibits I'd had the chance to see. It's pretty darn clear the heritage only matters if it helps sell cars. And, as the remnants of the company linger with some, time is making it less and less important as a way to sell what they are building. Go see it while you can.

Comment

We Do Have it Good in ALL WAYS CARS PARTS AND MORE and I see a lot of members COMPLAIN you never know how good things are till THERE GONE .
              Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Working...
              X