Locked Up Champion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Up Champion!

A friend had a minor Studebaker emergency yesterday!....This fellow just imported a really nice '49 Champion Starlight Coupe from the wilds of Washington State.

Driving it to a local auto show yesterday, the brakes locked up on him at a red light. He phoned me at work and asked if he could have it flat-bedded over to my place. (he broke down only a couple miles away)

After the champ sat for a bit, the brakes seemed to release, and he was able to drive the car over here. (the tow truck had showed up by this time, and its driver was nice enough to follow my friend to my place just in case the brakes locked again,...but indeed he made it.)

Long story short, we suspected the Hill-Holder, but I noticed there was little (if any) free play at the brake pedal....so I crawled under and adjusted the master cylinder pushrod about 3/16" shorter...and that gave the pedal some free play...the brakes seemed OK after that.

This brake locking action occurred once before, and just like this time, it happened after driving the car for several miles.

I figure everything heated up, including the brake fluid, and without room for expansion, kept the brakes 'on' when applied.

Yes. Improper adjustment can do this. Happened on both my wife's Lark and my '55 Champion when adjusted too "tightly". Hope the adjustment resolved the issue.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to My Champion a few years ago. I swear I had adjusted the Rod to what the Shop Manual said "and it was not enough" but We got it back on track according to what little It actually got driven.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There is also a chance that one or more of the three brake hoses have collapsed internally, allowing the brake fluid to flow one way but not the other till some time passes. If they are more than a few years old they might need replacing.
        George Cagle
        North Alabama Chapter

1937 Dictator
        1947 M5
        1948 Commander
        1963 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by GWCagle View Post
          There is also a chance that one or more of the three brake hoses have collapsed internally, allowing the brake fluid to flow one way but not the other till some time passes. If they are more than a few years old they might need replacing.
          That's what I was gonna say. George beat me to it. The rubber hose thing happened to me with my GT Hawk in a parade once. Cost me a transmission.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

When I saw the title I thought Brady had been thrown in jail!
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
              When I saw the title I thought Brady had been thrown in jail!
              It's still hard to believe you're from New England!

Comment

Originally posted by GWCagle View Post
                That's an interesting thought on the brake hoses.....The mechanics on this '49 have been completely gone through, (.030 engine, etc), and the brake hoses also looked very recent....Thanks for the idea though!

No issues with the brakes so far.

Comment

Should be a date on the rubber brake lines.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                  X