Head bolt torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Head bolt torque

I have one of Bill Cathcart's full blown 50 Champion engines that has been in my garage for 15 years, never installed. I intend to install it in my Champion this summer but I need to remove the head and replace the gasket. My question, is the head bolt torque the same for the aluminum head? If not can anyone tell me what it is and also if there are any precautions for the head install. gasket, sealer etc.

Also there is a square cast iron plug where the heater hose connects that is pretty much seized up. Anyone know how I might remove it?

Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

A Three Foot cheater Bar on your Pipe wrench might help, and some PB Blaster.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might leave the plug alone till engine is in and running. aluminum will expand faster than iron and you might only need a 18 incher on that pipe wrench and penetrant. Luck Doofus

Comment

Try this old trick. Heat the plug, and melt some parafin wax over it. As it cools, it will draw in the wax, and help loosen the plug.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My technique for removing stubborn bolts, pipe plugs, and fittings, is to use a little shock force as well. Just as the hammering that occurs with a pneumatic impact wrench, skillful application of hammer blows on a wrench can do wonders in loosening a threaded joint.

As far as torque specs, what we are dealing with is "clamping force." Given that we are dealing with a cylinder head, it has to be designed to withstand the same forces of compression as the cast iron head. I believe, given the mass of the aluminum head, there should be no significant difference in the clamping force required to hold it in place. The torque spec is mainly for the strength of the bolt, not the cylinder head. I would proceed with the specified torque in the shop manual. Also, I would adhere to the torque sequence in stages. Done properly, I think you will be good to go.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi ,I'm about to put an aluminum head on my 49 champ ,a project that's been waiting its turn ,the head bolt torque will be the same as for the iron head but use hardened steel washers ! Get them at your favorite industrial nut and bolt place ,don't use plain ones .your engine probably already has them
            you can use locktite 2422 thread sealer it is resistant to the antifreeze part of the bolt will be exposed tom
            spray both sides of the head gasket with the copper stuff the head gasket will slip around nicely while you get it on and seals up with engine heat
            you'll need a manual for the tightening order ,it's the same
            champ and commander are different ,champ is 45-60 and commander is 80 that's in the book
            tighten the bolts hand tight then in order with your torque wrench don't forget the coil,throttle link support on the left ( distributer side) middle 3 bolts ,the oil line pressure holder back 2 rtt side bolts ,and there's a weird bolt for the ground strap on the left front ,you'll have to reuse this or find a new spot for the ground strap ,some say ground to starter for more start Amps
            you have to have the thermostat gaskets too because 2of the head bolts double purpose as holding on the thermostat housing
            the heat sensor 4 corner bolt will spin out try that pb blaster penetrating oil spray and wait a day ,take the sensor out first!
            You can use brake parts cleaner to get the top o the block clean
            I'm going to put on the offy dual intake after the head and I have a shaved exhaust manifold ,not a dual ,do you have a Cathcart dual exhaust too?
            Interestingly I had a Cathcart Engine ready to go into my champ but lost the champ and the Cathcart in Katrina! This is my replacemeb
            #2 champ I got from mr lynch in no Carolina ,I'm owner #2

Comment

Thanks folks, I intend to replace the head gasket as it has been sitting for years with 6 or 7 head bolts out and I just don't trust it. A lot easier while sitting on the garage floor.

I do have the dual exhaust from Cathcart, the works as he called it. I cranked it when I first received it back, ran good but of course with no exhaust it was quite loud.

I have had plans sense 2000 of restoring a champion and using this engine but there was always something needing attention and time just slips way. Gave up and bought a running 50 Champion last year. It has been cleaned up nicely, repainted, all new interior but the mechanical work was minimal. Original engine, transmission and suspension. Just finished installing the front and rear axles from a 50 land cruiser I had sitting out back to get the 11 inch brakes and rear stabilizer.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

So are you going to put the Cathcart engine in the running champ? You could put it in my champ if you need a place for it !,I think some of the head bolt holes are stripped in my champs mill

Comment

Stevenlesser, Helicoil the block,this is an acceptable repair and will get you back on the road again,Luck Doofus

Comment

Sorry Stevenlesser. I just finished painting the engine and intend to start putting it all together tomorrow. I have blasted the intake and coated it with a clear sealer. Getting ready to do the exhaust. Also need to strip and paint the generator, starter and all the bolt on parts. Also going to polish the aluminum head while it's off and make a mount for an alternator so I will have it if I decide to go that route later.
                    sigpic
                    Barn Find
                    1950 Champion
                    Before I started
                    Jim Berry
                    Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                    X