Update on 51 Starlight Commander new pics and info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on 51 Starlight Commander new pics and info

I went and purchased the car today. Very happy with the condition. Could not bring her home until I make room. Took some additional pictures today. I have all the manuals for the 53 but does not include the 51. Can't tell if it is correct air cleaner. Where do the two trim pieces go in the picture?

Also starting my search for parts. This seems to be what is missing or needs. Anyone have anything to sale?

Interior door handles and window cranks,missing thin door panel trim piece,Heater parts?????,lens above gauge cluster,steering wheel,horn button,turnsignal
    windshield wiper knob,proper air cleaner????,pull handles back seat,hub caps,tranny shift lense,Shift knob,Shop Manual,Speedo cable repair, would like to find a clock, front signal glass lense

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Well, overall, you really look to have made a great purchase. Besides the lousy paint job, generic wiring harness with lots of extra unneeded wires, you seem to be waaaay ahead of us, who have bought vehicles of this vintage, that needed much more work. Those trim pieces look to be garnish moldings that go around either the front or back windshields. Most of the other items, you list as needing, were probably available from vendors at this past weeks swap meet in South Bend. If there are any swap meets in your region, do your best to attend.

I don't think the carburetor on your engine is for a '51. At least, the air horn is different than mine. I'm thinking yours is a later model. Where you have your vacuum line attached, my carburetor has the fuel line coming in on the front. My vacuum line comes off the back of the carburetor. The air cleaner might be correct for the car, but perhaps not the carburetor that is installed. I see nothing that can not be corrected. Looks to me like you have an acquisition with lots of potential.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You'll need to replace the bullet assembly if you want it to be correct for a 1951. The bullet assembly currently installed is from a 1950 car.

Overall, from what can be seen, it seems to be relatively rust-free. Congratulations.
      Mark L

Comment

Yes, I was told here that the nose is from a 50. It is in near perfect shape. Maybe someone has one they want to trade? Otherwise for now I will keep it. Can anyone else comment on the carb? I do not know what is correct until I get the Manual.
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Your two trim pieces are the garnish molding for the interior of the windshield. There should also be a very short piece to bridge the two at the top center.
          Don't attack everything at once and this will be a ride you will enjoy for a long, long time.
          My own '51 Commander Starlight Regal is still 6-volt and an incredible joy on the highway. The 232 V-8 capable of qualifying for speeding tickets on any highway.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A very nice car to start with. I wish my floors had been in that kind of shape when I started. Looks like everything you need to be correct is just bolt on stuff that you can find from our vendors. Get the shop manual & both parts manuals. Then spend some time with them before you start each project. It will save you time and money in the long run. You will also want to keep a copy of the SI parts catalog close by with a pen and note pad. That way you can make a list of the stuff you need to buy when you think of it and don't have to try and remember everything when you get back in the house.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

These pictures are from 52 models, but the 51 is very similar. You can compare some of the details. You can also google 51 Studebaker Commander and find lots of pictures, but be careful because sometimes they have other models mixed in.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 52-fan; 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sure looks like I do not have the correct air cleaner. I will need to look at the carb to see if it is correct.
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I looked in the parts book and there are 2 part numbers for the H (51 Commander) models. Unfortunately, there is no illustration of the different types. I did find a picture in the 51 shop manual and it is different from the ones in the photos. Maybe someone with a 51 Commander will see this post and chime in. Better pictures of the one you have might help.
                  Of course, you are curious about everything you have, but I wouldn't worry too much about originality at this point. Get the car running and collect the parts as you enjoy the car.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 52-fan; 05-11-2016, 07:52 AM.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like you have a great starting point to work with, sir. Have fun with it and get her back on the road!
                    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Regal Deluxe Trim
                    Automatic transmission
                    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X