When you work on your Avanti.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you work on your Avanti.......

Simple question.............when you work on your Avanti and the door/doors have to be kept open..........do you pull one of the battery cables so as to not run down the battery?

Not if you have switched off all interior lights first. At least not on my stock '63.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Here's an idea I added to mine over thirty years ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1705303Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100174.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1705304
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I installed replacement LED bulbs in all my interior lights in my Avanti...less electrical pull, whiter and brighter light and no heat which won't yellow the lenses.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I switch off the latching relay that disconnects the battery unless I need the power on for some reason.

Comment

Always the negative terminal cable at the battery - just habit, no surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
              Not if you have switched off all interior lights first. At least not on my stock '63.
              I don't know how you could do that, since I have never seen a Studebaker that had a THREE way switch like a New car to turn off the Door Switches.
              They have: ON - OFF - DOORS ON,
              we have ON - OFF - and doors are always on.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hook up a little trickle charger to the battery.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

You win the big prize!!......I was going to suggest such a thing I finally did to my Avanti.......after 46 years of ownership..purchased these at York:-)
                  Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Here's an idea I added to mine over thirty years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]53966[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53967[/ATTACH]

Comment

I would recommend a "Green Knob" disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery. It literally takes only seconds to disconnect/connect power. In addition to working with the doors/trunk open, it is also a good idea to disconnect the battery when parking the vehicle for an extended period since old wiring can sometimes do strange things.

I once had a short circuit happen in the dashboard of a '64 Daytona while driving. With the Green Knob, I was able to stop and disconnect power before losing the entire harness and/or the entire car to a fire. Note that it only takes about 1/2 turn of the knob to disconnect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7436.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1705314
                    Last edited by Rerun; 05-11-2016, 05:31 AM. Reason: add pic
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

Working under the dash you better believe that I disconnect the battery. If I am just vacuuming out the car, no I leave the battery connected. Usually when my Avanti is in the garage the battery is disconnected. I don't need a car fire, as my bed room is above the garage.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                      X