Wednesday May11th is national Twilight Zone Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday May11th is national Twilight Zone Day

Wednesday is national Twilight Zone Day. Didn't know there was such a thing. Rod Sterling (the show's creator & narrator) was an Avanti owner. A few of the episodes had Studebakers in them. The opening prologue "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone", sounds like it could be applied to Studebakers. Liked the show when it came out and still like it today.

I met Mr. Serling when he spoke at Penn State back in the early seventies; short little feller. He was a chain smoker who died of lung cancer. Let this be a lesson to us all.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"To serve man."

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
        "To serve man."
        One of the best episodes!

Comment

Maybe the best. "Mr Chambers, don't get on that ship. It's a cook book!"
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

what is the lesson, not to go to penn state or not to smoke?

Comment

Smoking no doubt wasn't helpful to his health, but Mr. Serling died of a heart attack during heart surgery. He was just 50 years old. He was a prodigious writer and, in my opinion and that of many others, the premier genius of American television. He was also a World War 2 combat veteran. He was a paratrooper who served in the Philippines. His life is quite an epic story, which is described very well in a PBS "American Masters" documentary. He deserves a day of recognition.
              There were so many great episodes of "the Zone", I struggle to select a single favorite. I have a DVD box set of the entire series, which is some of the best money that I ever spent. I have even gotten my teenage twins interested in the program. A few of the episodes that I would gladly watch repeatedly are "Its a Good Life" (where a boy telekinetically sends people that displease him "into the cornfield"), "Time Enough at Last", with Burgess Meredith, "A Quality of Mercy" with Leonard Nimoy, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" with William Shatner, "The Odyssey of Flight 33" (an airliner travels backward through time) and "An Incident at Owl Creek Bridge". Yes, I am a huge fan. RIP Rod Serling.
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
              X